Sunday, 19 April 2015

Hexagon Patchwork Pin Cushion

Pin It
I love nothing more than a little trip to the country and the recent Summer holidays saw us trek around sublime little towns and villages in Victoria's High Country.  Besides the promise of wonderful bush walks, antique shops and divine morning teas, I'm always hopeful of finding a craft shop to add a little shopping to the mix of holiday activities.  




I was pretty happy in Bright to stumble across Sew Bright Alpine Quilting in between lunch  and a wander around the local charity shop (where I picked up some fabulous fabric to make a skirt for the princely sum of $3.00).  While I'm not usually one to quilt and generally avoid hand sewing at all costs, the lovely bits and bobs on in the shop ended up being far too tempting.

They had a fabulous pin cushion on display in the shop and I loved the idea of making something so useful out of my holiday haul.  

I used "Vintage Sunshine" charm pack by Ellen Crimi-Trent with white linen for the plainer sections.


The pin cushion is made with:

Twelve  patterned 1" hexagons
Eight plain 1"hexagons
Six plain 1' squares.
Filling of your choice
Cotton thread for sewing




It has been a very long time since I'd done English Paper Piecing and if it's something you've never done before I'd recommend the tutorial from Connecting Threads to get you on your way.


I started by making two hexagonal "wheels" which consist of 6 patterned hexagon with a plain hexagon in the centre.  These form the top and bottom of the pin cushion.  

The sides of the pin cushion are made with alternating square and hexagonal pieces sewn in place on one of the hexagons.  This will give you a little fabric bowl shape.  To join the top to the base (the bowl shaped piece will be the top) work inside out until only one or two seams remain. Before turning right way out, ensure that any paper and tacking stitches are removed prior to this point.



Once turned the right way you should have a little opening to add filling and from there the pin cushion is finished by sewing the last seam closed and adding a button for embellishment.









I had forgotten how relaxing sewing hexagons could be.  I can't help but think I may just have to have a little hexagon sewing project on the go at all times for when things get a bit stressful!

Happy patch working

Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis