Sunday, 22 February 2015

Minted Marguerite Cowl

Pin It
It seems like an absolute age since I had yarn in my hands.  I have been sewing up a storm with my quilts and as they are quite labour intensive (ie .. hours and hours and hours), I've barely had time to feed my fibre hobbies.

However, enough was enough and I went into my craft room to find some yarn and put it to good use.

I've had some pastel mint green 'Debbie Bliss' for a while and decided that today was going to be it's lucky day.  I sat down, knitting needles in hand to start a cowl.









The pattern that jumped out at me though, was not a knitting pattern.  It was the 'Star Stitch' (also called Marguerite stitch) crochet pattern.  Knitting is my first love.  I am comfortable with attempting new techniques & new stitches but crochet is a bit wobbly.  I decided to give it a go and I'm really happy I did.  It's a lovely stitch and comes together easily.



Materials

2 balls of 'Debbie Bliss DK cotton'
Size 4 crochet hook

Instructions

I found the best way to learn this stitch was to watch it being done, rather than trying to read the instructions.  This you-tube video from Moogly Blog is great - very easy to follow.

Chain an even number - in my case 116.

Following the Marguerite/Star stitch instructions, continue until you have completed 9 rows - front and back.

It becomes very therapeutic after a while (I guess like all fibre arts).

To Finish

Chain 4 and then single crochet into the chain stitch row between the stars.  Continue making the loops all the way down the side.
The ribbon is laced through these loops - a bit like a corset.

Rather than cut the yarn and rejoin for the other side, I slip stitched all along the bottom of the cowl to the other side and Chained 4 to make the other set of loops.

For a bit of detail, I used a fancy bead rather than just tie the ribbon.

So there you have it - a new stitch and a new cowl.





Happy crochet,
Louise


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too






2 comments:

  1. I started this with Hempathy, but an realizing I need a loftier yarn. The first row was nearly torture, so I think, when I restart this, I'll work vertically (shorter and more rows) rather than horizontally (longer and fewer rows). I love the look of yours! Great idea to lace it with ribbon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the first row is a little tricky - but well worth it. I'm so glad you like the cowl. Good luck with yours!

      Delete

ShareThis