Sunday, 16 November 2014

It's Going to be a Charming Christmas

Pin It
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .. 
I went to my local fabric store today - a rare treat as I usually buy all my fabric online, but I got confused.  I wandered around aimlessly looking for inspiration, trying to put fabrics together, but with no luck.  It just wouldn't come together and I gave up, lest I just bought something for the sake of it (again ..).

I think the problem. is that I have become reliant on Layer Cakes, Jelly Rolls and Charm packs.  The fabric always matches, it's always cut the right way and there is no guess work.
All you have to do is be creative!

I was very fortunate to receive such a charm pack  .. 'Solstice' by Kate Spain for Moda Fabrics, in the mail as part of my birthday present this year (seriously .. the best present for a quilter.  A charm pack arrives in the mail and all I have to do is think about what to do with it)

I wanted a small Christmas wall hanging and came across the gorgeous 'Charming Stars Quilt' pattern from the ModaBakeShop website.  I fell in love with it and decided to make 4 of the stars for my quilt/wall hanging.  One charm pack is enough for this project.


The start of a new project .. always exciting!

I can feel Christmas coming!


4 Stars - ready to join

















Thanks to the clear instructions over at ModaBakeShop, the 4 squares came together really quickly.


A quick bit of sashing and my wall hanging is ready to quilt.











I chose to quilt it 'matchstick' (ie. every 1/4 inch) along the entire length of the quilt except for the stars.  This helps the stars to pop forward - making them more prominent.
Let the binding begin .. 
So good to be hand quilting again .. 






















Once all the machine quilting was done, I hand quilted around the inside of the stars using a red thread to really make the stars 'shine'.  I love hand quilting.  That may surprise you considering the amount of machine quilting I do.  If I hand quilted every quilt that I made though, I would only have one quilt a year - certainly not enough for me.

My son had a look when I had finished .. 

"Hey, that looks really good. It's like something from IKEA".

High praise indeed ......  I think.

Have a charming Christmas,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  Please join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis