Friday, 24 October 2014

Adventure Knitting

Pin It All the preparation for the Wedding and Honeymoon are finally over as we arrived home from our Honeymoon yesterday.

Both events were everything that we could have hoped for.  Well, in all honesty, we could have done with a little less rain on the big day.  It bucketed down all day and in the city of more sunny days per year than any other city in Australia, I was taken completely by surprise at just how much rain we had.  In the end, I think it only served to make the event a little more cosy and intimate.

We left the reception and flew straight to Sydney for our Honeymoon.  We caught the red-eye and were beyond exhausted when we arrived at 6.00am Monday morning, having not slept since Saturday night.   I knew that I would not be knitting that day .. but, as I arrive home, I have very, very little knitting done.  I did take some sock knitting with me and I had every intention of knitting quite frequently but somehow it just didn't transpire.  I have about 2/3 of a sock done but that was the sum total of my honeymoon knitting.  That's not to say however, that my knitted items that I had packed did not have a good time.  They went everywhere with me.

My blue knitted 'Serendipity' cowl came with me for the trip on the first leg of our journey.




This is the blue Serendipity cowl & me in Sydney, still with 'wedding hair' (I had only just managed to take all the hair clips out) trying not to look totally exhausted as we wait for something to eat. 




The weather in Sydney was glorious - very sunny and mild so I had to wait until a few days later in New Zealand before it was cool enough to wear some knits.






On our first day in New Zealand, we took the train across the Alpine range.  It was just glorious (at the start).  My new cowl was just the item to keep the chill away.  Once we arrived at the half way point it started to rain and did not stop for 3 days.  Coming from such a dry state as Western Australia, we loved it!
                                                                                                                        Our arrival in Queenstown was met with a complimentary bottle of wine for the 'Honeymooners' which we drank outside on our balcony after a day of sight seeing..  My favourite hat was definitely needed to keep away the evening chill.

Authentic New Zealand fish 'n chips beside the lake for lunch was just perfect for 2 ravenous holiday makers.  Still not warm enough to take off a hat and cowl though.  The 'breeze' that was coming in from the lake was colder than expected.





We had a fabulous time jet boating the next day and I have never been more relieved to have my knitted headband than on this day.  The 'short' stroll to town in the morning turned out to be an hour long in 6C temperatures but this paled when on the jet boat.  It was beyond freezing.  Thanks to a bit of knit wear and a heated hand rail, we came through it unscathed.   The long walk back to the hotel though is best left unmentioned.

Peter and I on the practise run on the lake.

Ever since we had booked our honeymoon, one of the highlights was the Gondola ride to the skyline restaurant at the top of the mountain.  Neither of us expected to feel as jittery and as nervous as we did though.  Don't be mislead by the smile on our faces, it was purely for the camera and, I am afraid to say, even my trusty cowl failed to make me feel any calmer.

We all look like a display from Madame Tussauds
A little more relaxed after a strong cup of coffee
A glass of wine and a great meal made the
 trip back down a little better than the trip up
Once at the top, my cowl and I got to experience a genuine New Zealand Haka which was fantastic.


Waiting for coffee


















About half way through our trip, the weather turned cold - Really, really cold for a couple of Aussies.

We bravely decided that we would have our breakfast outside on the Pier - just to REALLY experience the weather (if only we knew what was coming up in the next couple of days.)  I had forgotten my gloves so Peter (in true romantic spirit) leant me one of his.










When we left Queenstown, it started to snow and we were as excited as children on Christmas morning. We pulled the car over a few times, took heaps of photos, played in it even tried to catch it in our mouths.  It was cold however, and once again, where would I have been without some cosy knitwear?

It's quite difficult to take a
selfie with frozen fingers






















The legacy of all the snow though, was a bitterly cold cruise on the Doubtful Sound.  Did I say bitter?  I meant completely and utterly, mind blowingly freezing.  Hat, cowl, glove & coat weather.  I went outside to take some photos without my gloves on and very quickly regretted it. 



Silk roving from Ashford.
Very pleased indeed















The drive up the east coast took us past Ashford Wheels and Looms in Ashburton.  I love their spinning wheels  and could not resist a look inside their shop (and of course a small purchase of silk roving.  It had to be small, our suitcases could barely cope with the amount they already had)




We had such a fantastic time and  I can heartily recommend New Zealand as a fantastic spot for a holiday/honeymoon - especially for all the knitters and crocheters out there .. 

Now it's time to settle in and get back to some crafting.  I have missed it.

Happy Holiday-ing
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis