Saturday, 27 September 2014

Serendipity Beanie and Matching Cowl

Pin It
Serendipity Beanie
I had been looking for a slouch beanie pattern for quite some time.  Something soft, fashionable and drapey.  The other day I found it .. on my favourite craft blog - ours!

Deb and I spend our days crafting and posting the results to our blog.  It's always lovely to see her posts pop up and I can see what she has been doing.  One of our recent posts was her 'Shades of Grey Beanie'.  It was pretty much exactly what I was after and so simple to make.  I had to laugh.  My search had proved fruitless whilst Deb was knitting exactly what I was chasing.

I'm in a frenzy of last minute knitting for our honeymoon to New Zealand and I am making hats and cowls to match various items in my wardrobe.  The latest project is a sky blue beanie to match a simple cable knit jumper.  
Slouch Beanie & Matching Cowl

I scanned the pattern - Deb said that a good substitute for the yarn she used would be a cotton or bamboo blend.  BINGO - I had just the right yarn. Debbie Bliss' Prima (80% Bamboo and 20% wool - delightfully drapey).

I used her pattern but modified it ever-so-slightly to included a chunky cable design.  I also knitted with 2 balls of yarn at the same time to achieve the chunky look I was after.







Beanie Pattern

Matching Debbie Bliss
Abbreviations:  
C3F - transfer 3 stitches to cable needle and hold in front of work.  Knit the next 3 stitches and then knit the 3 stitches from the cable needle.
C3B - transfer 3 stitches to cable needle and hold in back of work.  Knit the next 3 stitches and then knit the 3 stitches from the cable needle.

Using 8mm needles, cast on 50 stitches.
  
Row 1:  Slip 1, K15, P2, K6, P1, K6, P2, K17
Row 2:  Slip 1, K18, P6, K1, P6, K18
Row 3:  As row 1
Row 4:  As row 2
Row 5: Slip 1, K15, P2, C3F, P1, C3B, P2, K17
Row 6:  As row 2
Row 7:  As row 1
Row 8:  As row 2
Row 9:  As row 1
Row 10: As row 2
Row 11: As row 1
Row 12: As row 2
Row 13: As row 1
Row 14: As row 2
Row 15: As row 5

Rows 5-14 make up the cable pattern.

Continue in the cable pattern until work measures approx 48cm from beginning.  Cast off loosely.
Sew cast off and cast on seam together with right sides facing from one edge until just past the cable pattern.  At this point, run a gathering thread along the other edge of the cast on/cast off edge and along the side.  Pull the thread so the beanie has a slouch look.
Turn the beanie right way out and then roll up the brim of the hat and secure in place with a stitch or 2 at the back.

Cowl Pattern

Super Simple Serendipity Cowl
Using 2 strands of Debbie Bliss 'Prima' and a set of size 8.00mm circular needles, Cast on 66 stitches.

Knit 5 rows Purl
Knit 5 rows Plain (K)
Repeat 6 times.
Finish with 5 rows Purl and loosely cast off.

Weave in any loose ends and you are good to go.

Happy Knitting,
Louise

If you've been inspired to make or wear a beanie and donate funds to brain cancer research, the following organisations would be thrilled to receive your donation:


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.



4 comments:

  1. How lovely,I love the colour and the cable pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Jeanette :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your beanie! The wool you used looks so soft! If you're looking for another place to share your projects, I would love to have you stop by Etcetorize and join our Make it Monday party. It opens on Sunday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. We'll be sure to check out Make it Monday next week!

      Delete

ShareThis