Monday, 8 September 2014

Pompom Cowl

Pin It
Don't you love it when you have an idea, pick up some yarn and from the very start the project unfolds easily and the finished item is just as you imagined?  This is not one of those times!

I had used what I like to call "Novelty Yarn" once before when I made our Six Percent Whimsy Scarf and so when my daughter required a black scarf or cowl to match her school uniform I had no hesitation in picking up a similar yarn to make this new piece. 

Now, the instructions on the label of Petunia Pimpon called for size 10 needles and while I understand that size 10 means different things in different countries, it seemed that no equivalent needle size would work with this yarn to make the pompoms line up.  In the end I tried every needle size I owned and then went and purchased a couple more sizes, just to check those as well.

In the end I used a pair of 12 mm needles and cast on 5 stitches, continuing in stocking stitch until I had used one full ball of yarn.  I had purchased two balls of yarn, thinking that I may make a scarf and it wasn't until I went to use the second ball that I realised that the problem may have actually been the yarn and not me after all.  I know a bad workman always blames his tools, but the two balls of yarn I had were completely different, despite having the same label,  and I think I may have started off with the dodgy one...at least that's what I'll keep telling myself every time my daughter wears her new cowl to school!


 Happy Knitting

Deb










Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis