Thursday, 28 August 2014

Going Round in Circles

Pin It
Finished Jelly Roll Quilt with spiral quilting
I have spent many quilting days going round in circles and today was the same - only todays circles were good circles.

July is my birthday month and the lovely folk at Craftsy sent me an email to say that I could sign up for a free class.  Not a 'buy one, get one free' - but an actual free class.  I was delighted and went to my wish list and signed up for 'Creative Quilting with your Walking Foot' with Jacquie Gering.  It's a great class and I decided to quilt my next quilt using this method instead of free motion quilting.

The striking effects of spiral quilting
I must say, it was a relief.  It was so relaxing to follow a pre-determined line (in my case, a spiral) without having to manoeuvre  the quilt through all manner of designs.


I had originally bought 2 Jelly rolls of 'Josephine' by French General for Moda Fabrics and had used one to make my Lone Star Quilt.


Spirals instead of a
straight line.
The other I used to make the Amazing Jelly Roll quilt by 3 Dudes which was demonstrated on the Missouri Star Quilt Co website.
Ready to Quilt

It came together quite well but I was a bit dubious about quilting in straight lines as my lines weren't all that straight (again - <sigh>).  There was a lot of bias in this quilt and it needed a quilting pattern that didn't rely on highlighting the blocks and when I saw Jaquie's spiral quilting, I decided to give it a go.

I'm so glad I did.  It came together very quickly and the results were quite striking.  I couldn't recommend this class highly enough - I loved it.

It was a lot less stressful than having to come up with Free Motion Quilting design however, this is my last finished quilt top.  So it looks like it's back to piecing for a while now, which is a shame because I'm itching to do another one.

Happy Quilting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.






No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis