Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Antique Crochet

Pin It
We've recently been given a large pile of family mementos.  Our boxes of treasures contain beautiful letters written many years ago, wills (and yes it is perfectly normal to leave your automatic washing machine to someone in your will if it's the 1970's...just in case you've ever wondered!), newspaper articles, apprenticeship papers and amidst all of the things that make up a family's rich history was an envelope which caught my eye.  Across the front was written, in my husband's late grandmother's handwriting, 

"Mum crocheted this when I was about 10 years old.  I am now 85. 1991"

And there in the envelope was an amazing piece of fine crochet showing a  homestead and surrounds. Made by my husband's great grandmother, who had traveled in her youth from Sweden to country Australia, I can't even begin to imagine the homesickness and hardships she would have endured in her lifetime and to have such a glorious handmade item that a family member could remember  being made is an incredible treasure.


I have grand plans for this piece.  At the moment I'm thinking of getting it framed with the original envelope on the back of the frame to give a sense of history for generations to come.


It's got me thinking though, should I do an heirloom project for future generations?  I certainly don't have the patience for this level of crochet, but perhaps I could weave something once my skill level improves... which , to be honest, may take a while and therefore I'll have plenty of time to think about it.  I've always felt it's no good to rush these things!!!

Happy Crafting

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is truly beautiful!! Can you imagine the time that must have taken. I used to needlepoint, but this looks much more intricate. How wonderful that you have this heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynda, it's such a lovely piece to own. I just can't imagine having the time or patience to make something like this!

      Delete

ShareThis