Saturday, 2 August 2014

A weed by any other name ..

Pin It I'm usually not one to think Shakespeare and wax lyrical ..  but today is an exception. 



I have had all manner of problems with my quilting.  I've had more puckers, excess fabric pleats, free motion 'eyelashes', snapped needles (and on one glorious occasion, an iron that spewed forth rusty water onto my just-finished quilt top) than I would otherwise care to mention.  My basting has left me close to tears on numerous occasions and I have lain in bed at night going over and over what I can do to fix it.  

Well, today I did.


'Weeds' by Me & My Sister designs for Moda
I made a falling charms quilt top using 'Weeds' by Me & My Sister Design for Moda Fabrics.  It came together quickly (thanks to Jenny from the Missouri Star Quilt Company) and has been sitting for a while whilst I wrestle with a way to baste and quilt without tears and tantrums.

I must have watched nearly every you-tube video on how to do it and there are so many methods to choose from.  The one that FINALLY worked for me is a combination of a spray baste and pinning.  I was finding that either method was just not stable enough and so I thought I would try the 'overkill' approach and I'm pleased to say it worked.


Deep breath - time to ditch
I have spent the day stitching in the ditch and had no pleats or excess puckering and I'm just delighted.  Well, actually, I'm beyond delighted.  Delighted is too tame a word - thrilled would be better.

I also chose to 'ditch' it quite differently as well.  The two methods I have found were, to
start in the middle of the quilt and work outwards or stitch around the whole quilt and work your way in.  Neither worked for me.  So, armed with my newly purchased invisible thread, (it's like trying to sew with very fine hair .. ) I started at one end, ditched along each horizontal line for the entire width of the quilt.   I then turned the quilt, started at one end and ditched all the vertical lines across.  This seemed to ensure that if there was any excess fabric, it was pushed to the edge.   Once that was done, I was able to do any last minute 'smoothing' and arranging before I ditched the borders.  

All ditched
So now, at very long last, I had a 'stable' quilt - all ready for the fun part.  The free motion quilting!


Ready for a quick iron and some
Free Motion Quilting
As the quilt is full of flowers there could be no other option than to free motion some flowers into each of the squares.









Free Motion Roses (Back)












I'm a big fan of roses .. I have crocheted some, I have knitted some and now I am all set to fill the quilt with free motion roses.

However, I underestimated how long it would take .. and it seemed like forever.  The effect when the main body of the quilt was finished was fantastic so it kept me coming back for more.


Free Motion Rose (Front)





















Happy Quilting,
Louise
Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm not a quilt maker (it's on my one day list) so I don't really understand all the problems you had with this project. What I do know is that the finished quilt is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. Up until a couple of months ago, I had no idea that any of these problems existed either. Worth it in the end though.. Louise

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous quilt. I love the color combo! Thank you for sharing at The Submarine Sunday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T'onna, and thanks so much for hosting. We love sharing our projects every week :-)

      Delete

ShareThis