Sunday, 24 August 2014

50 Shades of Grey* Beanie

Pin It
I think I'm possibly the only person in the universe not to have read 50 Shades of Grey and now that the movie is being made, I think we can all assume I will also be the only person in the universe who won't see that as well.  I'm just more of a Mr Darcy kind of girl and I can't imagine I'd fall for Christian Grey (and yes I did have to use Google to confirm his name) in the same kind of way.

The plan for this project was to make a beanie and in my endeavour to use some of my yarn stash I did actually come across a few ball of Panda "Riverdale" yarn in grey.  It's  quite a drapy yarn when knitted or crocheted and I thought I'd try and use it to make a slouch style beanie.  I'd recommend substituting a cotton or bamboo blend if you can't get "Riverdale"



This is a very easy pattern that is suitable for a beginner knitter:

To fit a teen/large child

Using 8mm needles, cast on 40 stitches.
Row 1:  Knit
Continue garter stitch until work measures approx 50 cm from beginning.  Cast off loosely.
Sew cast off and cast on seam together.
Sew over 6cm of one long edge to form brim.
Gather top of beanie by loosely sewing through the garter stitch and pulling yarn to gather.
Fasten securely.

Our teen was very pleased with the result and even her older brother decided that he too would like one.  I'm calling his "50 Shades of Brown Beanie"

Happy knitting

Deb



* Disclaimer:  Only one shade of grey was featured in the making of this beanie.  By all means use 50 shades if you can find them.

If you've been inspired to make or wear a beanie and donate funds to brain cancer research, the following organisations would be thrilled to receive your donation:


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

16 comments:

  1. I didn't read the books either and have no interest in watching the movie. I like romance so will be happy to knit while watching, once again, my all time favorite romance movie, Matthew Macfadyn and Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yarnspinner13. Have you seen Austenland? After watching many Austen movies, I loved that one :-)

      Delete
  2. Cute beanie! I started the book several months ago but still haven't got into it ....

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, and thanks for hosting another fabulous link party.

      Delete
  3. Didn't read the book, don't plan on watching the movie either. Do plan on knitting in as many shades of gray as I can lay my hands on however! Love the pattern, it's amazing! Thank you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could this hat be knitted on circular needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances, this pattern should be absolutely fine to knit on circular needles - Deb

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the pattern. I can't wait to try it! I signed up to follow you on pinterest, but how do I follow your blog. I kind of found you thru a free knitting pattern site. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Sandi. You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Google Friends Connect. All of the links are located on our blog page on the right of screen - Deb

      Delete
  6. How many sets would I co for an adult measuring 20''? Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AnnaMarie

      The length of the knitting becomes the circumference measurement of the hat, so if you knit a length of 20", plus a couple more for the seam allowance, that will give you the measurement you need. Deb

      Delete
  7. Could I just use a wirsted weight yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi - you could use wirsted weight and check the measurements as you go. I found that yarn that was soft and had some drape in it worked best. - Deb

      Delete
  8. Someone asked about knitting this in the round... You can but the hat will not look the same. When you knit flat, back and forth, you create the ridged look. If you do it in the round and you want the same look you will have to put a marker in at the beginning of your circle and knit a row, purl a row, otherwise you won't get the rippled effect. It is a beautiful, easy pattern either way...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found this hat- so cute. How many inches are 50 cm and 6 cm.
    Can't wait to make for my teen granddaughter in pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. 50cm is approx 20 inches and 6cm is approx 2.5 inches

      Delete

ShareThis