Saturday, 21 June 2014

When you are on a roll ...

Pin It
I spent yesterday afternoon making what is arguably the worlds easiest quilted table runner - you can view the post here.

I had plenty of '12 Days of Christmas' 2.5" strips left over and was still in the mood to sew so I thought I would make another table runner - you can never have too many.. can you?  

This is especially true at Christmas. Every table need to be festooned with something festive.. Right?



Materials

32 - 2.5" Strips of Christmas fabric

Backing fabric and batting measuring 21" x 37"

2" strip of border fabric

14 - 2.5" fabric strips for the binding

Cutting Mat

Rotary Cutter

Bobby Pins

Sew strips together

Method

  • Randomly sew 2 of the 2.5" strips of fabric together.  Try to ensure that you have a red with a green or a dark with a light.  Press towards the dark side.

  • Cut the sewn strips in 2.5" sections.  You will get 4 out of each strip.  Press

    Cut in 2.5" lengths
  • Piece them together to form 4-patch squares.  You will need 32.  This is a great job to chain piece.  Press

  • Once you have 32 squares, lay them out in the final design.  I sew the squares in column 1 to the squares in Column 2  and chain piece all the way down.  I then sew the squares in column 3 to the squares in column 4 and chain piece.

  • Press and then sew Column 1 & 2 squares to column 3 & 4 squares.  Press.

Layout 4-patch squares

  • Now it is just a matter of sewing all the rows together.

  • Add the 2" border

  • Layer the top, batting and backing and get it ready to quilt.  

    Finished quilt top
  • I started in the top left hand corner and followed the diagonal line through the blocks to the edge of the quilt.  I then changed direction and continued quilting in a diagonal manner to the edge of the quilt and continued until I had crosshatched the entire quilt.

  • I then quilted 2 lines in a quarter inch from the border.

  • Sew 14 strips of fabric together (endwise) to form a long binding.  I chose just two designs.  One was red and one was green.  They were both the same design, just a different colour way and this gave a festive, stripey feel to the border.  
Quilting diagonally

  • Attach the binding in the usual manner (sew to the front of the quilt with ride sides facing) and hand-sew the binding at the back of the quilt.
Now I am on a roll - I still have half of my layer cake.  Might be time to make another one .. or two.

Happy Quilting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis