Friday, 16 May 2014

The Miscalculated Scarf

Pin It
If you've been following this blog you're probably hoping by now that I've mastered the whole weaving thing and I'm  churning out endless projects that show an increasing level of skill...I'm afraid you're about to be sorely disappointed!


While my parents were visiting from across the country, I thought it would be a perfect time to work with my father, who restored the loom for me in the first place, and use his knowledge of the loom to iron out a few niggles and better understand how the loom all comes together.  We did have a wonderful time using the warping board and getting the warp on the loom.  What used to take a day or so, is now thankfully a much quicker project, but that's not to say it was all smooth sailing.


They had bought with them a lovely bag of novelty yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills and I thought I'd try a simple scarf to get a bit more practice in.  It was perfect timing really as the weather had decided to turn a bit Wintery in Melbourne.

This was actually our second go at the warp, we realised while doing the first, that when we were calculating the length of the project, we hadn't allowed any extra cotton at the beginning or end  of the warp, meaning our scarf would end up being a short table runner at best.


 I still find it interesting to see how a fabric come together on the loom.  As a knitter and crocheter, there tends to be an innate understanding of how a wool will behave and look once it's worked with a hook or needles, and the loom tends to give a completely different effect.




One interesting thing that I learnt during this project as that it's very hard to tell how far into a project you are once it gets underway.  You can estimate it based on how much warp is wrapped around the back of the loom, but it's an estimate at best and from now on I'll be using a marker or measuring tape to see how it's going.


Because of the difficulty in checking the length of the project while it is on the loom, and our inaccuracies in our initial measuring, it wasn't until we cut the project off the loom that we realised the extra allowance we'd added way back in the beginning was actually way, way too much.  The scarf was long enough to wrap around the necks of a small village, or so it seemed, and it was quite clear when my husband who is 6'4" tried it on and it still reached the floor that something had to be done!



...and the thing that had to be done was pockets.  The sewing machine was brought out and pockets were added,



This is the scarf being modelled by my daughter, and I'll admit it's still slightly too long for her, but for the taller members of our family, it just might be ideal.

Happy weaving 

Deb




Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis