Saturday, 31 May 2014

Loom Knit Denim Bag

Pin It

You know those people who can paint a house and not get a speck of paint on them?  Unfortunately I'm not one of those and one ruined pair of jeans later I've decided that I might just purchase a pair of painting overalls next time we decide to do any work around the house, which I'm hoping will not be for a long, long time!  In the spirit of thriftiness and throwing away as little as possible (and inspired by my last denim bag project) I thought, my ruined and thankfully old jeans could be used again.

While I've added a denim lining and strap to the bag, in an effort to use my paint spattered jeans, it could also be styled with just the loom knit outer and a simple loom knitted strap.

For the loom knit section:

Using Sidar Denim Ultra (or thick yarn of your choice - if using 8ply or dk yarn use two threads at a time) and a 36 peg knitting loom.

Cast on and complete *one row e-wrap.
One row Purl*
Repeat from * to * a further two times - six rows in total.

Rows 7 to 31 - Purl

Row 32 - e-wrap
Row 33 - Purl
Row 34 Cast off.


 

If you are new to loom knitting the following tutorials are a great guide to getting started on each stitch.

E-wrap (from the Knifty Knitter)
Purl  (from the Knifty Knitter)
Cast Off (from Loom Knitting Blog)






When you have completed the loom knit section, you will have a tube of knitted fabric.  To add a loom knit strap (if desired):

Handles:
Cast on four stitches.
Continue back and forward in rows of plain stitch until desired length is reached.  Cast off
Sew bottom of bag together and sew bag handles in place.
- See more at: http://fitzbirch.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/loom-knit-market-bag.html#.UWDSDzf0yD8
Handles:
Cast on four stitches.
Continue back and forward in rows of plain stitch until desired length is reached.  Cast off
Sew bottom of bag together and sew bag handles in place.
- See more at: http://fitzbirch.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/loom-knit-market-bag.html#.UWDSDzf0yD8
 Cast on 4 stitches on the 36 peg loom.
Continue using e-wrap stitch back and forward until desired length is reached. Cast off. (this is the same strap we used for our Loom Knit Market Bag)
To complete bag, sew bottom seam and sew in strap.

If, like me, you're looking to use up some denim, I simply cut the end off one of the legs (approx 22cm worked in this instance) and cut out the waistband.  I then sewed the cut fabric end of the jeans leg together leaving the much more interesting hem of the jeans free to be the bag opening.  I then sewed the waistband into the denim lining and sewed the outer loom knit shell in place.


Even though I'm really delighted with my new bag, I'm hoping that will be the last pair of jeans I ruin for while!

Happy loom knitting


Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.


4 comments:

  1. So cute bag!I like so much the yarn!
    congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Say G' Day - cute bag! I have not tried the loom knitting but I do regular knitting and crochet all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative idea and I love that you can use re-purposed jeans as well! Thanks for sharing this at the Say G'Day Saturday linky Party. I've pinned your post!

    Best wishes and hope to see again for this weekend's link up.
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis