Monday, 5 May 2014

Homespun Cowl

Pin It

Sometimes a yarn is so fabulous that it's hard to imagine what you can make out of it so that the pattern doesn't overwhelm or detract from the fibre itself.  When Louise was visiting at Christmas she very kindly brought with her a whole bag of homespun yarn and while my original intention was to use it to weave with, this particular one just screamed large knitting needles and a simple pattern to show off the amazing colours in all their glory.  

Louise had dyed and spun the yarn herself (you can read all about the process here) and so while this scarf was a very quick and easy project for me, I knew there was a lot of effort that had gone into the initial production of this wonderfully bright and textured yarn.

I used one skein of yarn for this cowl and it was while winding the skein into balls that I quickly concluded that no-one on my family seems to understand how to stand upright with their hands in front, toy soldier style, gently moving them in time to the yarn winding...I mean, how hard can it be for goodness sake!  From here on in you can be rest assured that I will be the one standing toy soldier fashion, while my helper simply winds, as there have been far too many knots for this step to be any where near as enjoyable as I believe it should be!


Pattern:

Using size 12 mm needles, cast on 15 Stitches

Row 1, Knit

Row  2 and 3, Knit

Row 4, *Knit 1, Yarn Over twice* repeat to end of row.

Row 5.   Knit the row, dropping the Yarn Overs without working them

Repeat Rows 2-5 until cowl reaches desired length.  Sew together, weave in ends.


If you're a new knitter then there is a very informative video at New Stitch A Day detailing how to knit Drop Stitch.



I love this cowl and it's a fantastic pattern if you're learning to knit and want to move beyond the basics of cast on, knit and pearl.  The start of the show is definitely Louise's gorgeous homespun yarn, and while I did phone her and subtly mentioned that if she's making any more, I'd love to use it, I believe she may be too busy quilting at the moment to fulfil my request...thankfully I've got a whole bag of beautiful homespun to be going on with.

Happy Knitting


Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.


10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is just lovely. I think you made the correct choice when you decided to make this cowl. The colors in the yarn just scream happy! Thanks for sharing this great pattern and beautiful warn at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party! I am off to read your post on the Winter Flowers Scarf! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely words Cynthia and thanks for hosting such a great party. I love seeing all the other inspiring ideas and recipes - Deb

      Delete
  2. Those colors are amazing! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. It was wonderful to combine the work of both of us on this project (even if we do live on opposite sides of the country!)

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty! I love the bright colors. Someday, I'll learn how to knit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I always used to think the same when I saw crochet and decided enough was enough and finally taught myself. I love crochet now! - Deb

      Delete
  4. love the colors! Love the pattern! love the chunky :) Hope you will stop by and link up to our Snickerdoodle Sunday sometime! We also have a Share the talent page you could link to for sharing your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite. I've personally followed you on Facebook so I can see when the link comes through. Can't wait to join in! - Deb

      Delete
  5. Just found the blog and am hooked! I love the cowl. I have a skein of some beaded handspun in a merlot color that I think may be lovely knit up into this. I need to finish up a couple projects first, but I'll definitely be saving this one for later. Thanks for sharing your pattern with us. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lacey - Love the sound of your beaded merlot handspun! Hope the pattern does it justice. Deb

      Delete

ShareThis