Friday, 11 April 2014

Memories of Arkansas

Pin It
Memories of Arkansas
I have never been to Arkansas although I have heard that it's quite lovely .. 
My memories of Arkansas are of shopping with Deb for quilting fabrics to make the Arkansas Crossroads quilt.  

We both shared a passion for vintage, scrappy quilts and this was going to be the vintage-est and scrappiest of them all.  We hunted down all the fabrics and made a start but then life got in the way.  Deb and her Husband had the most amazing opportunity that saw them settle in the wilds of North Yorkshire in England for a few years and then onto Melbourne and by this stage, very little remained of our quilting days.
At long last - ready for quilting

So you can imagine my surprise and delight when Deb says that she has a piece of our Crossroads quilt and would I like to finish it.

(We like to think that it has been waiting all these years for the right sewing machine to come along.)


I quickly added a border and I was set to go.






Starting with Stipple
Whilst it was never going to be the gorgeously large Queen sized quilt we had envisioned it was the perfect size for a sweet table runner and I thought it would be the perfect project to practice my stipple stitch on.   From what I have seen and read, the stipple stitch is a 'must have' in the repertoire of the machine quilter.  

All I really had to do was quilt it.   I was trialing a new thread (Isacord) and it came together really well.  Aside from an issue with the top thread snapping every now and again but nothing a change to a new needle couldn't fix.  We had left a fair bit of bulk in the quilt and at one point my needle snapped trying to get through it all where a number of seams joined.  It was easily fixed - I just avoided the joins.  The Isacord has a lovely sheen to it which catches the light and highlights the quilting.  






A great tutorial for this block can be found at The Virtual Quilting Bee.  It has, after-all, been over 15 years since Deb and I pieced this quilt so my memory of how it all pieced together is a little fuzzy.

I love this table runner.  I loved quilting it and watching it become something at long last (It's been an incredibly long WIP).  It's memories of Arkansas but it's also memories of when my children were younger, memories of quilting with Deb and memories of many, many happy hours.

Happy Quilting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.













1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis