Friday, 14 March 2014

Sew nice to be Quilting again ..

Pin It
Game of Thrones??
Frustration is when you are desperate to quilt and have no sewing machine -  and no prospect of getting one in the foreseeable future (my wedding dress arrives tomorrow and that has taken every cent of any budget that we had).  I can't complain - the dress is a work of art and I'm sooo excited but any other purchase is going to have to wait. 

Only.. I feel the need to quilt.  I'm sure you understand that 'need'.  It can't wait and it's not logical.  I spent many hours watching quilting tutorials online (Craftsy have many and they are all great - some are free) but that's like waving chocolate in front of someone on a diet.  Kimberly Einmo is a wonderful Craftsy teacher and I was confident of achieving 'perfect points' after watching some of her classes.  


Luckily, a lovely teacher from work said I could borrow hers.  BINGO!  I was in action.  I have never really trusted my ability to put fabrics/colours together and was marvelling at the invention of Jelly Rolls and Layer Cakes.  They are not 'new' but they were not around when Deb and I first started quilting and I love them.

I chose Moda Fabrics 'Little Black Dress 2' and decided on a very traditional Jacobs Ladder design.  My son really liked how it was coming together.  He said it reminded him of 'Game of Thrones'.  I was a bit perplexed.  I couldn't see it but he insisted so .. Games of Thrones it is.

Each block consists of 5 .. 4 patch blocks and 4 half square triangle blocks.  The 4 patch blocks are made up of 2.5" squares and the half square triangles are 4 and seven eighths sqaure cut on the diagonal.  
Many of my 'points' are not perfect but I am happy to say that I am getting better.

The borrowed machine (whilst greatly appreciated)  is not equipped with anything that allows me to either free motion quilt or machine quilt so at this point in time, it's just quilt tops - and I couldn't be happier.

Happy quilting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous!!! I'm so glad you were able to get a hold of a machine. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis