Monday, 24 March 2014

Adventures in Free Motion Quilting

Pin It
Last  week, my fiance surprised me by buying the sewing machine of my dreams .. and then hiding it so I would find it unexpectedly.  He thought long and hard and thought he knew my routine when I come home from work.  So he hid the machine in our toilet room. However, I came home and changed the routine and he had to wait an hour and a half before his gift was discovered.  I know that the thought of finding a sewing machine in the littlest room in the house doesn't sound romantic but I thought it was one of the most beautiful things anyone has done for me.  Not only that, but he bought it on the Friday before a long weekend so it was Nirvana for me.


The machine he chose was a Pfaff Expression 150 Anniversary model.  I had been looking at one, decided it was the one I wanted and set about saving up for it.  I should have twigged when he asked which one I had chosen.  I thought he was interested.  He wasn't - which makes the gift all the more wonderful.  He has no interest in sewing or sewing machines.  He bought it to make me happy - and it does.

It's the perfect machine for quilters and comes with all the accessories you could possibly want.

I started off with some machine quilting on my 'Game of Thrones' quilt.

My practise piece.



The moment of truth .. 





























... End result 




However, even though I was thrilled with the machine quilting results, I was very keen to try my hand at free motion quilting.   It was very tricky .. 

My first practise piece .. 



Much worse than I could have imagined - BUT! always remember to lower the presser foot.  








Things got much better once I remembered to do that.



Now, it's all systems go not only for piecing the quilts, but also for the actual quilting.  

Firstly though, someone deserves a cup of tea - in fact, this machine has earned Peter cups of tea for the rest of his life.

Happy quilting,
Louise


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis