Monday, 24 February 2014

Loom Knit Wrap

Pin It
It's been a long, hot Summer hear in Melbourne.  We've had days where the temperature has hovered at around 44 degrees Celsius and this explains why my latest loom knit project has taken so long.  Usually making things on the knitting loom is very quick and easy, but the beautiful  baby alpaca yarn I chose for this project was so thick and warm that the thought of being anywhere near it on a hot day was completely unbearable, and so it was put away until the weather cooled and I could pick up the project without having to reach for a glass of iced water and turn the air-conditioning up a notch.


The yarn in question is the deliciously soft and warm "Husky" from Moda Vera at Spotlight.  I managed to pick up a whole bag for the bargain price of $15.00 in a sale last year and it's a 12 ply 100% Baby Alpaca.


The knitting loom I used is one my father made, but this project will work just as well with a manufactured straight loom.  Up until now I had only used thinner yarn for loom knitting, but I loved the thicker wool and can envisage making a few more items with 12ply or more.



The stitch is the same as I used in our Charity Knitting which includes a link to a great "All Free Knitting" Youtube tutorial.  I cast on the straight loom to a width of approx 30cm/12 inches and continued until I had worked a length of knitted fabric that was approx 115cm/45 inches long.  You can make this shorter or longer according to your own body shape.  I then sewed the seam with one end edge to the base of a side edge to give a diamond shape and added a couple of wooden toggle buttons for embellishment.


I'm totally loving how this turned out.  It's snugly and warm and the yarn has enough stretch to give the garment some shape.  I do have some yarn left over, not enough for another wrap, but I do think it would make a great cushion...or two!

Happy loom knitting 

Deb




Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

Other FitzBirch loom knit projects:
Quick Loom Knit Scarf
Knifty Loom Knit Leg Warmers
Loom Knit Gauntlets
Loom Knit Market Bag
Loom Knit Remote Control Holder
Loom Knit Socks
Charity Knitting

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I love it! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana -we hope you have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous wrap. The yarn looks beautiful.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ali, my daughter is trying to convince me to get an alpaca as a pet - I really can't see that happening in the near future! Deb

      Delete
  3. looks beautiful! Turned out awesome and looks so soft, better watch out, you might get a lot of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. It's lovely. I was wondering how many skeins you used (and the length of each skein)? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your enquiry Sailerbabe. This project used 8 balls of Moda Vera Husky which is a yardage of approx 390 yards or 357 metres

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis