Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Very, Very Useful Neck Cooler

Pin It

There is a reason why the Australian Open is the only one of the Grand Slam Tennis Tournaments to have a heat policy.  This was very much in evidence this week when Melbourne experienced a heat wave during the opening rounds.  Day two saw the temps at around 44 degrees Celsius (that's 111.2 Fahrenheit) and day three was forecast to be only slightly cooler.

As luck would have it (or not), we had tickets for day three and the evening before I decided that something had to be done, as the thought of standing out in that sort of heat for a few hours seemed pretty unbearable.


I searched the Internet to try and find a solution, thought perhaps my husband could stop at the chemist on the way home from work to pick up some sort of personal cooling devices for us, but then stumbled across this neck cooler tutorial on Instructables. 




I had loads of suitable fabric in my stash, but the water crystals were another thing entirely so off I went to my local hardware store and for the princely sum of $7.00 bought a little container of crystals and then it was home again to get sewing.







The tutorial was very simple to follow and before we knew it we had a selection of very, very useful neck coolers to match the existing one my husband had squirrelled away in his golf bag.











I'd love to be able to tell you that the neck coolers kept us perfectly chilled for the event, and I'm sure we were much better off than not having them.  We did find however the very best solution for the intense heat was the neck coolers, together with an ice cold slushie and an industrial sized fan blowing cool water.

Tennis bliss!

Happy sewing

Deb




Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , PinterestRavelry and instagram too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis