Friday, 11 October 2013

Homespun Beret

Pin It Trying to come up with something to knit using my homespun is quite tricky.  A lot of it I am using in a blanket but every now and again, a batch comes through that is quite good and I am a bit reluctant to use.  

I ordered some 19.0 micron roving online and it is gorgeously soft.  After dyeing it and spinning it, I kept marveling at just how soft it was - there just wasn't a lot of it.  Certainly not enough for a cowl (which I tried first but had to undo).  

Then, as luck would have it, I received the Knitting Daily email and there was a list of hats to knit.  Surely, I would have enough .. and I chose the 'One Day Beret Recipe' by Kristin Kapur.




This pattern assumes that you know something about the construction of a hat and it is super easy and just the right pattern for my homespun.







I like the way that the beret is knitted from the top down which means that you can size it very easily - however, I was still very nervous about running out of wool and I knitted until I virtually had nothing left.  I used the crochet cast off to conserve wool and in the end, every last ounce of homespun went into the hat.

It has a 'slouchy - lived in' feel as though I have had it for years.  

I have a skein of 'circus' that I have dyed and I have a funny feeling that my hat collection is going to get a little larger over the coming months.

Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.






1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Beret Louise!
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured your crochet spider web on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 175
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis