Monday, 14 October 2013

Halloween Mummy Cakes

Pin It
I generally try and avoid the Post-Christmas Sales, but last year I came across a gingerbread shaped silicon cooking tray at one of my little local shops and couldn't resist.  It's been sitting in my cupboard, waiting patiently for the festive season, or at least that was until I was inspired by some Mummy cookies I saw on Pinterest.  It was time for my tray to come out of hiding and get some use.
 

I confess, that on a busy Saturday morning I chose to use a packet cake mix rather than my standard Vanilla Cake, but my kids still thought they were pretty delicious even though they weren't made from scratch.  

I simply made the cake mix as directed, filled the little gingerbread moulds to approximately half full and then proceeded to put them in the oven at a temperature that was ever so slightly too hot...oops!  I would have preferred the edges to be slightly less brown, but you live and you learn. 


As our little gingerbread shaped treats had risen unevenly in the oven, when they were sufficiently cooled, I sliced the backs off of them so that they were completely flat.  The icing is made using icing sugar and the directions on the packet and while I had my icing bag and tips at the ready, in the end I just used a spoon to drizzle the bandage like effect.



The eyes are "Smarties", but if you're not in a part of the world that sells them, M&M's will certainly do.

...and there you have it.  Our little gingerbread type people have been completely transformed.

Happy Halloween

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook ,Pinterest and Ravelry too.

1 comment:

ShareThis