Friday, 27 September 2013

The Sock Commission

Pin It A little while ago, I knitted some mock cable socks for a friend at work for her significant birthday.  I am happy to say that she was really pleased with them and took them to show her Mum and Sister.  
They also liked them .. so much so that her sister requested a pair that she could send to her daughter currently studying - get this ..  fashion design in Florence!  I was a bit pleased with this.  Then my friend said that she would also like to send her niece a pair .. 
I could choose whatever socks in whatever colours so I set to work.

The first pair I chose to knit is a beautiful design call Nutkin in a sock wool that I can't recall.  When I first got my wool winder, I spent many hours winding my wool but forgot to keep the tags.  I have been saving this wool for a couple of years though and thought it was high time to use it.  This sock pattern would look fabulous in just about any colour at all.


I started following the pattern  but the picot edging didn't work for me and I didn't really have the time to keep trying this until I got it right - so, I gave up decided it was best to just push forward and did a standard K2, P2 ribbing instead.

I did the ribbing for 10 rows and then commenced the nutkin pattern and continued this up to the heel. I then modified the pattern for no other reason than the way I do it has become so familiar to me that I don't need to look at a pattern and so it is much quicker (the socks needed to be ready fairly soon ..)


Once I got to the heel, I then inserted my 'standard' sock pattern.


Divide for heel

Continue in pattern for 32 stitches. (2 pattern repeats)
 
Place the remaining 32 stitches on one needle as this needle will be the reinforced heel.

1st row: slip one, (K1, slip one as if to purl), rpt to end
2nd row: Slip one, Purl to end
Repeat rows 1 & 2 a further 15 times.

Turning the heel


K18, Slip 1, K1, psso, K1, turn

Slip 1, P5, P2tog, P1, turn
Knit across to the stitch before the gap (this is where you turned your row) Slip the first stitch before the gap, Knit the stitch on the other side of the gap, psso, K1, turn
Slip 1, Purl to the stitch before the gap, P2tog (the stitches either side of the gap), P1, turn

Continue in the manner until all the heel stitches have been used up, finishing with P2 on the wrong side.

Picking up stitches for the gusset.

Turn the knitting to the right side, knit across all heel flap stitches, then pick up and knit 16 stitches (to avoid any loose stitches, knit into the back of each stitch), continue along the top of the foot keeping the nutkin pattern correct, and then pick up and knit a further 16 stitches.

Arrange the stitches on your needles in the following way, the 1st lot of picked up stitches, and half the heel flap stitches on needle 1.  The remaining half of the heel stitches and the second lot of picked up stitches on needle 2.  (The middle of the heel flap now becomes the start of each row.)  Place the remaining 32 stitches (nutkin pattern) on one needle. (needle 3)

Decreasing the gusset.

The aim is to decrease along the gusset until you have the 64 stitches you started with.

Row 1:  Knit all stitches keeping the nutkin pattern correct

Row 2:  knit to 3 stitches before needle 3, K2tog, K1, Knit across needle 3 keeping nutkin pattern correct, K1, Slip 1, K1, psso, Knit.
Row 3:  Knit all stitches
Row 4:  As row 2.

Continue until needles 2 & 3 contain 16 stitches each.


Continue knitting until the foot measures 3cm from the end of the toes (approx 7cm for a small/medium ladies size).  It is best to try and finish at the end of the nutkin pattern.

Decreasing for the toes

Knit one round plain.  (no nutkin pattern - from here on, it is just plain knitting)


Decrease round:

Needle 2—K to 3 sts from end  K2tog, K1. 


Needle 3—K first stitch, Sl1, psso, knit to 3 sts from end  K2tog, K1. 

Needle 1—K1, Sl1, psso, K to end.



Second row: Knit to end



Continue until 16 stitches remain.  8 on needle 2, and 4 on needles 1 & 3.

Combine needles 1 & 3 so you have 8 stitches on each needle and cast off using kitchener stitch.



If you have never tried kitchener stitch, it's a great way to finish a sock.  Nice and neat and strong.


Here is a great link for learning how to do it.  Kitchener Stitch Instructions.

Now it's onto the second pair of socks and I'm sensing something in a liquorice theme - maybe.

Happy knitting,

Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.



3 comments:

  1. You socks are so pretty and I love the color. My mom knits them all the time! I saw it on life on lakeshore dr.
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful socks Louise! And how nice to be asked to make more for people's friends and family!
    I also wanted to let you know that I featured your upcycled glasses case idea on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 173
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis