Friday, 13 September 2013

Lego Soap Saver

Pin It
Quite a while ago now, I promised one of my children a Lego blanket (you can read about it here).  I'm sad to say that it has yet to eventuate.  I've crocheted up a few bricks here and there, but nowhere near enough to make even a lap rug, let alone a full sized blanket.  I'd love to be able to tell you that after all this time my son  has forgotten the promise made long ago -  but he hasn't -  and when he sees me crochet hook in hand he does sometimes mention, without subtlety I might add, the fact that his blanket doesn't look like it will be finished anytime soon.

...perhaps a little Lego project can keep him happy for a while?

The inspiration for our Lego Soap Saver comes from a pretty project by MooglyBlog.com .  The link takes you to their lovely pampering soap saver and when I came across the photo of their bobble crochet on Pinterest I thought it could easily be adapted to form a Lego shape.  Naturally, I didn't have bright cottons in my yarn stash so a quick trip to Lincraft was in order and home I came with bright red and blue "Coton-A" yarns.

I don't know if it happens in most families, but in ours each child seems to be associated with different colours, and while not set in stone, the purchase of lunch boxes, bedding and sometimes even underwear seems to take on a colour coded feel.  My child who currently lacks a Lego blanket has been mostly red and so naturally my instinct was to try a red soap saver first.

I followed the pattern from Moogly Blog exactly except for the following changes:

Round 4:  Ch 1. [Sc in next st, dc in next st] 5 times. Sc in next 1 st. HDC 3times, CL in next, HDC 2 times, CL in next stitch HDC 3 times in last st, and join to first sc with sl st. Turn. (22 sts)

Round 5: Ch 1.  [Sc in next st, dc in next st] 5 times. HDC 12 times Join to first sc with sl st. Turn. (22 sts)

repeat rounds 4 and 5 a further 2 times.

Round 10, 11 and 12:  as per round 5

Finish as per Moogly Pattern.


I'm hoping our new soap saver will encourage cleanliness and so I've added some decedent and divine smelling goats milk soap we picked up on a recent trip to Yarra Glen

Happy Crocheting

Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.





6 comments:

  1. Hi I made one too! It's on my blog and it is such a great idea and makes a great gift too. My Bol is julieslifestyle.blogspot.com I saw it on Navy wife Peters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting Julie - I love that soap savers are so easy to make and thanks for the link to your blog :-)

      Delete
  2. Super cute idea!Love it!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana - hope you have a wonderful weekend too. Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea. I can't wait to see the lego blanket when it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it may be a while before the lego blanket sees any progress! I think I might have to set a goal to crochet a number of blocks each week to really get it underway

      Delete

ShareThis