Friday, 16 August 2013

Favourite Free Crochet Hexagon Patterns

Pin It
Bees were definitely onto something when they made their hives with hexagons.  I'm currently experimenting with the crochet variety and while not "obsessed" as such, well not yet anyway,  I'm loving them so much that I thought I'd share some of my favourite patterns.


Flower Hexagons:

These intricate (yet easy to crochet) hexagons are a free pattern from Red Heart.  The Stolen Moments crochet throw that I made using these floral hexagons was one of my very first large crochet projects and I love the result so much there's a part of me that's tempted to make another in a different colourway.








Simple Hexagons:

If you're just starting out with crochet, then the simple hexagon tutorial at Crochet Fundamentals is perfect for beginners and is a fabulous way to add a bit of shape to your crochet.  All you need to know is how to make a magic circle, double crochet, chain and slip stitch and if you're stuck, the tutorial even has a video to help you along.






Granny Square Hexagon

This is another design that's simple to do and so a blanket can be done in no time.  Granny Squares lend themselves to rounds of colours, even though my example here is in variegated yarn just waiting for other hexagons in alternating colours.  This free pattern can be found at Crochet Again and I think this shape makes a delightful change from the usual granny square


African Flower Hexagon

This is a beautiful design that's simple, but striking.  The only problem I've found with this Hexagon is choosing which colours to use from my yarn stash.  The tutorial from Heidi Bears is well photographed and easy to follow, meaning you'll have your project done quickly and with a minimum of fuss.







 
Granny's Garden Hexagon


Rounding out my top five favourite free Hexagon patterns is Granny's Garden.  Six petals form this  design and I'm  loving it in softer tones crocheted together to form a baby blanket.  The pattern (which makes a dinner plate sized hexagon)  is available for free at Scrap Yarn Crochet





Happy crocheting

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.

12 comments:

  1. They are all beautiful! I have to laugh, even with all the great ideas, I'm still drawn to granny square one:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, I know what you mean! It's really hard to go past a classic granny square :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi I love all the hexagons that you made. I saw it on life on lakeshore drive.
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting Julie - love all your photos from Windsor!

      Delete
  3. Pretty hexagons Deb. Thanks for the links - I shall have to try some of those!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jill, lovely to have you come and visit the blog

      Delete
  4. I love this! They look beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. So sorry I've been slack on my visits. Things are finally slowing down. Have a wonderful week. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy, it's always lovely to take part in A Bouquet of Talent. People always share the most amazing projects.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I really like the Granny's Garden Hexagon! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much T'onna. I do hope your hip is all sorted soon and I'm really impressed your still blogging with everything going on!

      Delete

ShareThis