Monday, 15 July 2013

New Arrival

Pin It
It’s here! My new spinning wheel.

My dad has spent months making it.  We had a discussion at Christmas about the feasibility of making a spinning wheel but plans were very few and far between.  So, he went away and had a think about it and he came up with a plan by looking at pictures of other wheels.  And then he made it.  Just like that.   Out of some Sheoak floorboards, a spinning wheel was born.

It arrived yesterday and it is a magnificent thing.  We set it all up and I was about to start spinning but then realised that my parents had driven 2 hours to bring it to me so perhaps they would like a cup of tea.  Then we had morning tea and then lunch. 

My son teaching
himself to spin
During this time, my son spent an hour or 2 learning to spin and I indulgently watched him learning.  How sweet it all seemed.  This is the same son who bought me some Cashmere Roving for Mother’s day as he knew the spinning wheel was coming.  Of course I could let him use the wheel – it’s the least I could do.

After lunch and after hearty thank you’s and good byes were said it was my turn.  My son showed me his spinning.  It was good, really good.  This wheel must make the whole process so easy so I was filled with excitement.  3 hours later his spinning was still better than mine and I was in no mood to listen to ‘instructions’ from someone who, 4 hours earlier had never spun on a wheel before. 

It’s all coming together though and I was extraordinarily pleased with the progress I was making and I couldn’t be happier.  Well, I’ll be happier when my spinning is better than my sons but other than that it’s a glorious birthday present.  One of the best I have ever received.*  Now I just have to come up with a name for her.  I'm thinking of 'Evangeline' - Evie for short.

Happy Spinning
Louise

Disclaimer

*Apologies to anyone who has ever given me a birthday present.  This is in no way meant to imply that your present may have been inferior in any way or that it was not appreciated & cherished.

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift, in so many ways...a real heirloom and the gift of watching your son use it as well.
    Happy Spinning!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everytime I sit down to spin, my 14yo, and my 5yo get into fights over who's going to get to spin next (the 5yo, being far more indulgent and evil than her older sister always seems to win), so I very much understand your pain. There just doesn't ever seem to be enough wheels or time to spin. :D

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis