Monday, 29 July 2013

Cool Britannia Crochet Cushion Cover

Pin It
I've often longed for an invitation to the palace for afternoon tea, and when I recently purchased some wool (you can read about it here) my intention was to make a range of Union Jack accessories. Mostly to match a UK themed cube/bedside table we own, but also on the off chance that this post would catch the eye of the Royal household and my invitation to tea would then quite obviously soon be in the mail, as surely they would be able to see the heroic effort that goes into designing and producing a cushion.  I grant you it's not up there with saving lives, volunteering or generally making the community a better place, but it's a little something and I'm hoping it's enough to see me on the lawns having cucumber sandwiches before the decade is out...or possibly  even the decade after that.

My plan for a crochet cushion all seemed quite easy on the face of it.  The plan being to come up with a spreadsheet in a Union Jack design and then crochet away to my heart's content.  Problem number one being that I'd never really had to change colours while crocheting before and it turns out there's a specific way to do it, not the off the cuff let's-just-try-it-this-way-cause-it's-sure-to-work method I employed on my first attempt...you live and you learn. If you're wanting to do it the right way, there's a great video tutorial from the friendly folk at New Stitch A Day

  
For this project I used Bendigo Woollen Mills Classic Denim Mix, Holly and Almond with a size 4.5 crochet hook.

Front

Using the chart provided (a down loadable PDF is available here)


Chain 41.
Row 1. Half Double Crochet (HDC, also called Half Triple depending on which country you're from) into third chain from hook and continue to HDC into each chain across - a total of 40 HDC per row
Row 2-35 Continue HDC as per chart.

The chart I have provided you is slightly different to the front of the cushion I made.  I was wanting a square cushion, but as I worked my way through my original chart, I realised that it wasn't quite square and so my revised chart is a full four stitches wider.


Back (done in two sections to allow for cushion insert)
Top Section 
In the matching colour of your choosing, Chain 41
Row 1. HDC into third chain from hook and continue to HDC into each chain across - a total of 40 HDC per row as per front.  Continue for 20 rows.
Bottom Section
Chain 41
Row 1. HDC into third chain from hook and continue to HDC into each chain across - a total of 40 HDC per row as per front.  Continue for 20 rows.

Cushion Front
To make up:  Sew buttons in place on one of the back sections. Arrange the back over the front with wrong sides facing and beginning in the corner SC around the outside of the cushion.  Turn inside out and insert cushion cover.

As you can see, I've not yet made mine into a cushion cover as I'm still deciding if I should turn it into a bag...


Happy crocheting

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on FacebookPinterest  & Ravelry too.



4 comments:

  1. OMG these are stunning, gorgeous details and colors. Excellent work you did.
    Scrapbooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sweet Union Jack pillow! Pinned:) I posted DIY Doily Jacket to this week's parties:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele - I'll be on the lookout for your Doily Jacket this week.

      Delete

ShareThis