Monday, 10 June 2013

The Hope Chest

Pin It
Recently, Louise - my sister and fellow blogger - and I were having a conversation about yarn storage and it got me thinking about the well worn trunk that holds the vast majority of my wool.  From the outset, I have to tell you that I'm hopeless at saying no to family furniture, books or nick-nacks.  If I get a call or email asking if I'd like Great Aunt Gertrude's postcard from her holiday in Bournemouth in June of 1927, I will probably say yes (not that I have a Great Aunt Gertrude, but you get my drift).  Along the way though, I've been given some wonderful pieces with beautiful stories behind them and I truly treasure each piece, including the hope chest that stores my wool.

This was given to me by my mother-in-law a few years ago and started life in our household as a toy chest for my daughter when she was very little.  Originally though, it was made for an entirely different purpose.  Handmade as a gift by a young gentleman (my mother in law's father) who had recently proposed to the young lady he was to spend his life with,  this trunk was to store all of the things that they would need for their new home.  

I love thinking of all the household items that would have made their way into the trunk.  Pristine new sheets, saucepans, perhaps a dinner set, napkins and tablecloths, the excitement as each new item was carefully stored away and the thrill of moving day when it was finally unpacked.

While it probably isn't a hugely practical piece for storing my wool, getting something out of the trunk invariably involves removing half the contents and replacing them afterwards; I wouldn't change it for the world.

Happy knitting

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook ,Pinterest and Ravelry too.



3 comments:

  1. How lovely. I keep mine in a chest too,but not as nice with memories as yours. I love things with such beautiful memories.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette - Are you still on holidays?

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story behind the piece :) My Husband is that way too, taking anything and everything offered to him by his Dad (including that old post card in a box with the rest!). :)

    I wanted to invite you to join our Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Tuesday nights till the end of Saturday, come link up if you have some time :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/06/meet-greet-blog-hop-29.html

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis