Saturday, 15 June 2013

Nordic Sweater

Pin It I am not sure that I could be a contract knitter if knitting for my son is anything to go by.  

After the success of the last cable sweater (you can read about it here), my son asked for another one, only this time he wanted one that was a little plainer.


He decided on a Nordic Knit from Bergere de France which I must admit, I loved.  I have developed a passion for fairisle so I was very pleased.

It is not a free pattern and I purchased it, along with the wool, from Deramores.  The sweater details are also on Ravelry.

However, do you think that I was allowed a respite to knit anything else?  I usually have 2 or even 3 projects on the go at any one time but my single minded son had other ideas.  I had taken to sneakily knitting other things when he was not around.

He kept insisting that, as it was Autumn, he would need it.  As we are going through an unseasonably warm period, I keep insisting I had plenty of time.  


So, the battle continued.  I love the sweater, but like all large projects, sometimes you need to take a break to work on something smaller, brighter, quicker or just change tack into something like a crochet project.  Try as I might, I couldn't convince my son of this.  So the 'sneaky' knitting continued.


Close up of the Nordic star

Like the cabled jumper, I have modified a 'standard' pattern so that it can be knitted in the round.  This method works really well for me.  By the time you get to the shoulders and collar, the jumper is nearly finished, just the sleeves to go.  

These are the modifications that I make to any standard pattern.

  • I knit the front and the back at the same time.  I use a different coloured stitch marker to indicate the start of the back and front so I know at any stage which side I am working on.  Sometimes, it is easier to photocopy the pattern to have the front instructions and the back instructions together for easy viewing.
  • The increases or decreases for shaping are made one stitch in from the stitch marker and I use the M1 increase which is virtually invisible.  
  • Once you reach the decreasing/cast off for the sleeves, I leave the back stitches on the circular needles, pick up standard needles and complete the front.  I keep all all neck stitches live instead of casting off.
  • I do not cast off stitches for the shoulder seaming.  I use short row shaping and, once again, keep all my stitches live.  When it comes time to join the shoulder seams, I use the 3 needles cast off for a firm, neat and incredibly secure seam.
  • I always knit the sleeves in the round as well with the increasing done in the same manner.
There are a number of patterns available for seamless sweaters knitted from the top down but this method ensures that I can knit any pattern in the round, whether it's top down etc.  I fear I am a little obsessed by seamless knitting.
The shoulder seam stitches and the collar stitches
are kept live on stitch holders.
After knitting the body in the round, I blocked the
 fairisle before joining the shoulders and
adding the collar


Sleeves knitted in the round.









Shoulder seams joined and
collar knitted - waiting for the sleeves.
























Once the sweater was finished my son tried it on, alone, in front of the mirror. He does this so I can't see his initial reaction should he be unsure about it.  He was gone quite some time but when he came out, he looked at me, nodded his head and said with a smile, 'I like it - a lot'.  

Thank goodness - it means the end of sneaky knitting.  The sweater was finished some weeks ago and it is only now that the  weather is settling into a more 'winter-like' pattern can the sweater can be worn.  I hate to say 'I told you so'.

Happy knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.

6 comments:

  1. Amazing sweater!Love it!!! The colours are beautiful too! Great work! I can't wait to see your next knitting.
    Hope you have a good week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana .. Hope you have a great week as well.

      Delete
  2. Sooo beautiful Louise!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill and thanks for yet another great 'Round Tuit' ..

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous sweater! I love the neck of the sweater and the design. Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning sweater - please make one for me!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis