Thursday, 27 June 2013

Knitlon, Craftlon and Nylon Knitting Ribbon

Pin It
Living in a country a long way from anywhere, you soon learn that objects are not necessarily named identically in different parts of the world.  In Australia we wear thongs on are feet, we sleep under a dooner and sometimes we like to sit on our verandas...we're a quirky bunch like that.

Not that long ago I wrote of our difficulties in finding mint coloured anything to make ballet hair accessories  and in my desperation I couldn't help myself when I stumbled across "Knitlon" in the most desirable shade of green.  I admit to making a couple of assumptions about Knitlon, the first being that the whole world called it Knitlon and secondly that it could only be used for covering coat hangers or making dolls to cover the spare toilet roll in the bathroom.  Turns out I was wrong on both counts.

Knitlon (or Craftlon or Nylon Knitting Ribbon, depending on where you live) is actually quite wonderful for making little hair accessories.  While I was tempted to crochet with it,  I'm still experimenting with our little flower loom (you can see our original flowers here) and so decided to have a try with that first.

Our last attempt on the flower loom was using a single loom, but I had a hankering for something different so decided to try two layers and see how it would turn out.  Usually I'm all for smaller accessories, but the Knitlon is quite springy and tends to shrink a bit when it's taken off the loom, so I went with the largest flower loom coupled with the next size down.  Placing both of these in the stand I looped the Knitlon around the largest loom first and when complete continued on with the smaller loom.I darned the centre in place and added a little crystal bead to finish.

Attached to a hair comb or slide/barrette, simply pinned with a bobby pin or added to a headband I think Knitlon flowers  have turned out to be quite the perfect hair accessory.

Happy crafting

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.

13 comments:

  1. Super cute! Thanks for sharing at Katherine's Corner Blog Hop where I'm co-host today.

    Christine @ http://idigpinterest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, I've just been looking at the Key Lime Pie recipe on your blog...delicious!

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty and delicate! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elise, I'm pleased to say it's been worn quite a few times already - Deb

      Delete
  3. Very cute and I love that color of mint green. Thanks for stopping by and linking up to Fluster Buster's Creative Muster Party! Looking forward to seeing what you're going to link up next week.

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, it's always a pleasure to link up and see what other bloggers are posting at Fluster Buster's Creative Muster

      Delete
  4. That is fun! What a great accessory for little girls. You are so creative! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Krista, they're so quick and easy to make I think I might be putting some together in other colours!

      Delete
  5. Ribbons are such a fun crafting accessory. There are so many ways to use them and your blog has given me even more ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margo - lovely of you to drop by.

      Delete
  6. I found your blog while trying to find a supplier for the knitlon or craftlon knitting ribbon. I found your craftlon bows (flowers you made on the daisy loom which I would like to incorporate into the pattern for) a shower scrubby pattern. I really want to knit these but I found 1 supplier in Australia but can't get the order to process. I live in the USA, maybe they don't ship to the USA. I still can't find a USA supplier for either the knitlon or craftlon knitting nylon. I hope someone who reads your blog can help me and post some information on where to buy this. Jo Ann L.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis