Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Charity Loom Knit Hats - Sizing Guide

Pin It
One of the things I love about Loom Knitting is the speed of construction that takes place upon the loom.  For me, it feels much quicker than knitting with needles and the simple, smaller pieces I've been making while I've been learning to loom knit have given me an enormous sense of satisfaction.  After working my way through loom knitted scarves, socks and bags I did get to the point of thinking that perhaps it was time to tackle hats, work out simple patterns and sizes and then give them to charity at the end, meaning not only that I would be learning something new, but also using up some of my wool stash and doing some good at the same time,  It's a win-win!

As a guide I found the following loom size instructions from Fayme Harper and the approximate sizes for loom knitted hats are:

Baby Hat - 12 peg loom and knit to a length of approx 6 inches (15cm)
Toddler Hat - 16 peg loom  and knit to a length of approx 7.5 inches (19cm)
Older Child Hat - 18 peg loom and knit to a length of approx 8 inches (203cm)
Adult Hat - 22 peg loom and knit to a length of approx 8.5 (23cm)

I have found that if you choose not to use one of the round knifty knitters (or in my case they don't seem to correspond to the peg numbers that Fayme mentioned) then the best way to determine the size is use a tape measure as a guide and then measure the inside of an adjustable or round loom and use the number of pegs that equates to that measurement.  So if you measure the circumference of your head and it is, for example 50cm (approx 20 inches), simply measure the inside of the loom and use the number of pegs that will give you a 50cm circumference.





As a first attempt my 11 year old decided to make the simplest hat of all, no rib, e-stitch and cast off at the end to give a straight top.   I think this is a really sweet hat for kids and can't help but think a couple of tassels or pom poms on the corners would be a great addition, even though my 11 year old is unwilling at this stage to add any adornment.







For a more advanced technique , I like to add a rib brim and to give a very neat finish. After you've knitted your desired number of rib rows, take the first cast on row and place the stitches back on the loom so that they line up with the last row you have knitted.  Pick up the bottom stitch and pull over the peg.  It will give you a perfect sewn in brim, but without any sewing.  It's then a simple case of knitting the desired length and either decreasing at the crown ( as shown in this great video from All Free Knitting ) or simply gather and finish (as demonstrated by mikeyssmail )

Happy charity knitting

Deb 


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.

Other FitzBirch loom knit projects:

2 comments:

  1. Amazing talent there! They are beautiful. Plus the fact that they are for charity makes it even better. Now using a loom looks like something even I could figure out, I will have to look into that :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm good at looming but not at knitting. Looming's the easiest.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis