Monday, 3 June 2013

Birthday Socks

Pin It

I know I have said it many times, but you just can’t go past a pair of hand knitted socks as a gift.  Either giving
or receiving.

A friend of mine has a birthday coming up and it has caught me off guard.  How did it come around so quickly?  I thought I had plenty of time.  It can only mean one thing – socks.

I love knitting socks but haven't knitted a pair for a while.  I have been knitting a lof of other things but socks have always been my first love and am delighted to spend the next little while with my cherished sock needles and wool.

Why all things sock-ish?:

·         They make ideal gifts for friends and family
·         They are the most perfect sock to wear with winter boots
·         They knit up quickly and are great, portable projects to take anywhere with you.  I even have a wonderful knitting pouch that has been designed specifically for taking socks with you.  
·         The variety of sock wool is truly astounding and beautiful
·         The variety of sock patterns means there is something for all knitters

I was half way through a pair of Kei-Mei by Cookie A.  This is from her book Sock Innovation and is the second pair of this pattern that I have made.  The first pair I made whilst crossing the Australian Nullabor.   This is part of the highway that links the West Coast of Australia to the East.  We travelled 3 417km (one way) and that is a lot of knitting time.  I knitted a pair of socks on the way to Melbourne and a pair of Kei-Mei on the way back.  Not to mention all the pairs that I knitted during languid afternoons in our camper van.  Her book is definitely worth getting .. it is filled with fabulous sock patterns that will keep you busy for days - weeks even!

Anyway, I digress.  This pattern is really lovely and, as I had already knitted one, I only to knit one and the gift would be ready.  Sometimes, a half finished project really does help and this one had been half finished for quite some time.  A day later the socks were finished (oh, if only every knitted project could be finished in this amount of time) and ready to give.


Happy Birthday Denise!

If this pattern is a little too advanced and you are only new to sock knitting, then you might like to have a read of our ‘Sock Knitting 101’.  We have created a downloadable booklet that guides you through your first pair of socks.  All you need to know is how to  knit with a set of DPN's.

Happy Knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.


4 comments:

  1. You're giving me too many projects I want to try Louise.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol .. It's what keeps me sane Jeanette ..

      Delete
  2. I just love these socks! I have always been afraid to knit a pair of socks. I had a teacher who helped me, but I never got to the heel or toe part! Thanks for sharing this at the IN and Out of the Kitchen Link party! I will be featuring your post on Monday morning at the Top 10 Favorites post!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so exciting! Thanks so much for the feature Cynthia, we're really looking forward to see what other projects have been selected this week.

      Delete

ShareThis