A while ago we picked up a little bag of teeny tiny fabric roses and it wasn't until a dreary midweek day off together that the young dancer in the family and I decided that the time had come to put the roses to good use and come up with a new hair accessory for ballet class.
Our original plan was to add a little bit of sparkle with some crystals sewn into the centre of each rose, which we would then sew onto a ribbon, but once we had laid the roses out it was decided that less was more and the crystals were quickly discarded. I did have sequins waiting in the wings, but my daughter was quite certain that she did not want sparkle...I'll just have to save them for next time!
This was a very simple accessory to make. We measured and cut the ribbon and laid out the roses ready for sewing. I was tempted to use a glue gun rather than a needle and thread, but the thought of roses flying everywhere during a pirouette made the decision to use the most sturdy of attachment methods a little easier.
We tried a couple of different arrangements for the roses, while I preferred the graduated approach, my daughter thought higgledy piggledy (my words, not hers) was better and so it was that I sewed the roses in place as per her preference.
I'm very tempted to make my own ribbon roses after this, maybe not for this style of accessory, but a few larger roses on a hair slide would be quite lovely I think and I might even be allowed to add a bit of sparkle!