Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Ballet Roses Hair Accessory

Pin It
A while ago we picked up a little bag of teeny tiny fabric roses and it wasn't until a dreary midweek day off together that the young dancer in the family and I decided that the time had come to put the roses to good use and come up with a new hair accessory for ballet class.

Our original plan was to add a little bit of sparkle with some crystals sewn into the centre of each rose, which we would then sew onto a ribbon, but once we had laid the roses out it was decided that less was more and the crystals were quickly discarded.  I did have sequins waiting in the wings, but my daughter was quite certain that she did not want sparkle...I'll just have to save them for next time!


This was a very simple accessory to make.  We measured and cut the ribbon and laid out the roses ready for sewing.  I was tempted to use a glue gun rather than a needle and thread, but the thought of roses flying everywhere during a pirouette made the decision to use the most sturdy of attachment methods a little easier.

We tried a couple of different arrangements for the roses, while I preferred the graduated approach, my daughter thought higgledy piggledy (my words, not hers) was better and so it was that I sewed the roses in place as per her preference.


I'm very tempted to make my own ribbon roses  after this, maybe not for this style of accessory, but a few larger roses on a hair slide would be quite lovely I think and I might even be allowed to add a bit of sparkle!

Happy dancing

Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Anastasia - my daughter attends a very traditional ballet school, so we can't do anything too over the top!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful and yet so simple. My daughter is always looking for new hair accessories. Visiting you from Katherine's Corner. Read my post on teaching children to sew:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2013/06/summer-sewing-camp-lesson-one.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana - I've slowly been teaching my daughter to sew, but I love the idea of coming up with a course. I'm your newest follower

      Delete
  3. This is just precious! Simple yet so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn - I was a bit worried that it might have been too small, but I love it's understated style :-)

      Delete
  4. These are so cute! I wish I had a little girl to spoil with these :) Love it! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista, and thanks for hosting "A Handful of Everything"

      Delete

ShareThis