Friday, 10 May 2013

Stolen Moments Crochet Throw

Pin It
When I first saw this throw from Red Heart, it was aptly named the "Flower Throw", and I couldn't help but take note of the description which  boldly stated that it was a "great project for those stolen moments when you're waiting for your child's activities or an appointment."  Given that I seem to spend most afternoons waiting in the car for one activity or another to come to an end, I thought this would be the perfect project to fit in with my lifestyle. Something I could put together piece by piece on a daily basis which would naturally mean it would be finished in no time...



I was lucky enough to receive some lovely wool and Knit Pro Crochet hooks for my birthday and chose Bendigo Woollen Mills "Luxury" yarn in shades of Bark, Stone and Koala, plus "Classic" Tasman Blue for a splash of colour amongst the neutral tones.





Needing a total of 82 crochet flowers in total, I did the Math and worked out that if I made five flowers a day, the whole throw would be finished in only 16.4 days, plus a day or two for blocking and sewing.  It was going to be brilliantly quick!

I can tell you that I managed about three or four days in the beginning where five flowers per day quickly worked their way off my crochet hook, but from then on it was pretty slow going.  There were times when a whole week (or two, or three) managed to sneak past me where not one flower was made.

In fact it took me closer to 260ish days to finish this throw, a whole lot more than the 16.4 days I had originally calculated.  My daughter finished primary school, Christmas came and went,  we took a holiday and all the while at the back of my mind was the thought "I really need to get on with that throw". 

It's not as if it was difficult to crochet or frustrating in any way.  The wool was lovely to work with, I adored the colours and the pattern soon found its own rhythm as I worked away, it was just I couldn't put my mind to it and there were so many other things that needed doing. Finally I decided I just had to push through and over a few weeks worked diligently away at completing the flowers.  It was a grand day indeed when the crocheting and blocking was complete.




...and then it took me another whole month to get around to sewing it together!

It was worth the wait though, don't you think?

Happy crocheting

Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.






19 comments:

  1. How pretty. I love those POPs of blue in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was a bit worried about the blue when I started, but I'm really pleased with how it all came together - deb

      Delete
  2. BEAU-TEEEE-FUL!!! I have made much smaller projects of a similar nature and it is painstaking. BRAVO! Been following for a while, now you can fully take a deep breath, and enjoy the day,right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I'm delighted to hear it's not just me that struggles with projects like this. My next endeavours are going to be a little less ambitious! Deb

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous!! ♥ And such a sweet name :-)). Now I have a surprise for you: You've got an award! Please look here:
    http://natasnest.blogspot.de/2013/05/my-fifth-blog-award.html
    Happy weekend!! xxx Nata

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the award Nasta - very proud to be included in a list of such wonderful blogs!

      Delete
  4. I love the colors and the pattern's really cute. I wish I could do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I was pretty nervous about crochet before I started less than a year ago - now I love it!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous colors. I love making blankets where the squares are all crocheted and then sewn together, but gosh the sewing together part can be time consuming...but so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm quite determined that my next blanket will be one that pieces together as you go! Deb

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much T'onna - great link party this week and I adore the scarf you made. Deb

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking up this lovely throw! :-)

      Delete
  7. So pretty!! I am learning how to crochet!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. We're very excited to be featured at Submarine Sunday - Thanks so much T'onna

      Delete

ShareThis