Saturday, 4 May 2013

Loom Knit Flowers

Pin It
Last Christmas we made a flower using French Knitting and once the project was completed I spent a while thinking about embellishments for projects and how just a little bit of whimsy can sometimes be the difference between lovely and wow.  I was quite excited  when we stumbled across a flower loom at our local craft shop as I loved the thought of adding a bit of embellishment to a few projects I've had in the pipeline.

The flower loom kit comes with a few size looms, but on this occassion I was looking for something sweet and dainty, so discarded the larger sizes and went with the smallest loom.  Continuing in the sweet and dainty theme the wool is Bella Baby Buttercup, a 4 ply baby weight yarn in the softest shades of lilac and pink.


These little flowers come together in what seems like the blink of an eye and once the yarn is attached to the frame, it's a simple case of wrapping the yarn around the pins (in this case, in a clockwise direction).  I went around the circle twice with my yarn as I was concerned the thin yarn wouldn't produce the full flower I was hoping for.



Once the loops are completed, the flower is finished off by darning the inner circle.  I cut the yarn, making sure I had plenty to work with and then stitched into the centre circle, then back up through the inner loop of the petal, through the centre again and then between the next petal until the whole flower had been stitched.



I love the thought of these on a head band or as a little bit of embellshment on a purse or bag.  I can see I'll be making many, many more!

Happy crafting

Deb




Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.







16 comments:

  1. Very nice flllowers!
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/2013/05/easter-roundup_4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anastasia - lovely to have you come visit. Deb

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful! Love them!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, thanks for dropping by. Hope all is well with you in Portugal - Deb

      Delete
  3. So lovely. Great tutorial that makes me want to try this little project.

    Cheers for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helle, really pleased you could drop by. - Deb

      Delete
  4. these are so sweet!!

    Would love it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Natasha. I dropped by Serenity Sunday to add the loom knit flowers and got to see some of the wonderful contributions from other bloggers. Some very talented peeps out there! Deb

      Delete
  5. cute flowers, these can be used in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystie - I've got loads of ideas for using these, and they're such fun to make!

      Delete
  6. Very cute! And it looks nice and straightforward too!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Jill - some great link ups this week!

      Delete
  7. Cute flowers! Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our pleasure - we love to see what you've been making every week! Deb

      Delete

ShareThis