Wednesday, 22 May 2013

How to recycle socks ..

Pin It I can only describe my recent discovery with horror.  I had knitted my partner Peter, a pair of socks.  The yarn was lovely.  Very smooth and silky, not the slightest bit scratchy and quite formal looking.  Just right for work - or so I thought.  A few weeks ago I discovered these socks in the bottom of the dogs basket.

I quickly snatched them out and asked why the dog had them?  He then sheepishly said that they were too uncomfortable to wear.  The wool was too slippery and they kept falling down so he took them off whilst sitting at the dining room table and forgot about them.  However, our dog hadn't.


Fortunately, the dog didn't like them either for when I inspected them, they were perfectly intact although, not smelling the best.  None the less, I was furious.  This was no way for good quality sock wool to be treated and once I had overcome my feelings of betrayal, I washed them (twice) and set about rescuing them.



Going ........... Going ............Gone!
I used my wool winder to wind the wool directly from the clean socks and now I had a ball to use for something else.  

Fast forward a few weeks to our camping holiday.  I made a very simple pair of fingerless mittens and I thought that this sock wool would be perfect for another pair.


I asked my son if he would like some.  

"No, not ever" was his response.  
'Never?" I asked.  
"Never, ever" he replied.  
Surely this was a bit harsh.  It's just a pair of fingerless mittens after all and I know there is not much call for them except in the deepest, darkest weeks of winter here in Australia.  
I tried to reason with him - "You will be catching the bus in winter - it will be very cold".  
I just got the 'look'.  You know the one that teenagers give you when there are no words to describe just how painful you are being as a parent - so I let it be.

I thought I would knit them though and give them to someone else - someone a bit more appreciative or someone with colder hands.


They don't take long to knit .. 



Pattern

Using DPN's Cast on 54 (62, 70) stitches and join in the round.
Set up a K2, P2 rib pattern and knit for 2cm
Knit in stockingette for 8cm (9cm, 10cm)
Place 15 (17, 19) onto a separate needle or, using a separate yarn sew through the stitches and pull firmly.
Continue knitting for a further 8cm (9cm, 10cm)
Set up a K2, P2 rib pattern and knit for 2cm
Cast off loosely.

Pick up remaining 15 (17, 19) stitches making sure to 'pick up' an extra 4 stitches along the inside of the thumb.
Knit for a further 4cm (5cm, 6cm) and cast off loosely.

I then went back to my son who very graciously agreed to wear them so I can photograph them.  He looked at them long and hard.  Maybe he's decided that he could wear them after all?  

I shall just leave them lying around to see if he takes them.  If they end up in the dog's basket again though, there will be tears.

Happy knitting
Louise


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.




4 comments:

  1. Don't cry, if they go that direction, I'll take them, they look awesome! Going to have to try a pair myself when I get through the rest of the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - they look great. Thank you for partying with me.

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm busy knitting gauntlets at the moment too, although I'm playing with cable patterns in mine. Years ago I knitted my then boyfriend a beautiful pure wool 8 ply roll neck jumper, slaving for hours upon hours and pouring weeks of work into it. He never wore it. After several years of promises I gave it to a friend who WILL wear it. I swore nver to bother for my now hubby again.
    Fast forward to this year and I knitted some socks for me on my knitting machine. Upon finishing them off I tried them on to discover that I had several inches of extra toe space and the tightest rib top around my calves. I was trying to work out how best to salvage them when hubby claimed them as his own. He refuses to wear them to work but hey, he DOES wear them. He also swiped my hot pink and black slipper booties I'd made for myself. He keeps requesting that I darn them up though where he's worn them through. The mens are funny fickle creatures when it comes to home knits. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From now on, I'm only knitting things for my son or for Peter is they specifically ask for something. I agree .. Men are funny fickly creatures and as knitting can take so long, it's not something to be fickle about. We all learn though - some of us the hard way .. :-)

      Delete

ShareThis