Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Catch-My-Eye Cowl

Pin It
On Mother’s Day, my Dad and I were having a very technical discussion on the best way to wind some very recalcitrant Araucania yarn.  The skeins seemed to twist and knot on the swift and we were trying to figure out why.  In an attempt to sort the issue out, I grabbed a skein of completely different wool that always behaved itself to show that the swift normally wound wool beautifully.

This skein caught my Mum’s eye and she marvelled at the brightness and vibrancy of the colours.  I made a quick note whilst elbow deep in tangles – 1 vibrant cowl for Mum.


I must say from the outset that I am not a swatcher of wool.   Over the years I know that my tension is pretty much spot on and if I follow the wool and needle directions, I am pretty confident of achieving the desired result.  This wool was untested though and I wanted to make sure that I picked a stitch that would best show off the variegations so I made a few samples and decided on a very simple basket weave stitch.  

Fitzbirch is going through a bit of a weaving theme lately.  We've been spinning, dyeing and weaving so perhaps, subconsciously, knitting had to be incorporated there somewhere.  Although, given half a chance, I would incorporate knitting into everything.

Materials Required

The wool was an impulse buy from ebay.  
100% wool from inner mongolia would you believe.
The nearest equivalent wool would be an 8ply (DK) variegated. 

250 yards (150g).
Circular 4.00mm needles

Pattern

Cast on 166 stitches.  Join in the round being careful not to twist it.
Row 1:  K4, P4 to end
Row 2-4: Repeat Row 1
Row 5 & 6: Knit
Row 7: P4, K4 to end
Row 8 -10: Repeat Row 7
Row 11 & 12: Knit.

These 12 rows form the basket weave pattern

Repeat the previous 12 rows 5 more times.

Cast off and Voila!   One vibrant cowl.

Now that it's in the post on the way to my Mum, I can get back to my tangled Araucania.

Happy Knitting,
Louise 


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.

More cowls and scarves from Fitzbirch



Disclaimer: We are all part of one big crafting community so please do not sell our patterns or claim them as your own. You are free to do what you wish with finished items but if you sell them online, please link back to us for pattern credit. Please use your own images if advertising an item for sale from our patterns.  We are not expert pattern designers and believe knitting and crochet is a wonderful art form.  Therefore, many of the ways we create things may not be according to established methods.





7 comments:

  1. Good Morning Louise, The colour of the cowl caught my eye when I visited The Crafty Blog Stalker, so I just had to pop over and take a look. My goodness, wool from Inner Mongolia.... sounds very impressive.
    Like your mother, my daughter will love this cowl, so I am going to knit one for her. It has been years since I have knitted with circular needles, but it will be fun using them again.
    Thank you so much for the knitting pattern.
    I have enjoyed my visit Louise, so I have become a new follower. It is a while since I've knitted so it will be lovely to be inspired by your lovely work.
    I would like to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! when you have the time, as you will be more than welcome.
    Best wishes from England
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Daphne .. I popped over to Ivy, Phyllis and Me and stayed for about an hour. Your blog is wonderful. I am now a follower and look forward to a lot more visits (after I have made some of your lemon curd) .. :-)

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty! I definitely do not have this talent! Saw you on A handful of everything party. I posted as well. I'd love for you to stop by.

    Gina
    http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina, thanks so much for dropping by. I'm loving all of your hair accessories on the blog, particularly the wrapped roses - very pretty indeed.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for linking this beautiful cowl up to Great Idea Thursday's! You are being featured tomorrow :) I wish I had your talent! Beautiful! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Krista. We are very excited to be featured at A Handful of Everything!

      Delete

ShareThis