Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Yoga Socks for a Ballerina

Pin It A little while ago when I was in Melbourne visiting Deb and her family, Andie mentioned that she had some wool that she was hoping to knit into some leg warmers one day.
Every Ballerina needs them, legs must be warm to dance, so I was more than happy to offer make her pair.

We were only there for a few days so I was still in the process of making them when we left. Then I came across every knitters moment of anxiety - 'NOT ENOUGH WOOL'    I kept knitting for a little bit with the horrible realisation dawning at every row that I wasn't going to make it.  It was the motoring equivalent of running out of fuel a kilometre from the nearest petrol station.  There was no extra wool available so in my moment of despair, I decided that the next best thing would be a pair of 'warm-up' yoga socks.  Fingers crossed that she would like them.

I came across a pattern - Kroy Yoga Socks by Patons in Ravelry.  This is the link to the patons website where you will need to log in.  It's free and, lets face it, you can never have too many knitting sites at hand.  The pattern calls for sock wool but I thought I would still use the 8ply that I had (it was Andie's wool after all) and reduce the amount of stitches required as she is the most petite little thing.

I knitted the socks using a two-thirds ratio.  Eg. the pattern calls for 64 stitches and I used 42.  So for every instruction, I did two-thirds.

They looked good - I was happy.  I just had to hope that Andie would like them.  A few months later, she came to visit and I rather sheepishly handed over the 'leg warmers'.

I needn't have worried - she appeared to like them and didn't take them off all afternoon.  Deb told me a couple of days later that she was still wearing them so I am sure that she didn't mind the change of plans.

AND .. Thanks to Deb's knitting loom, Andie now has the complete set as she made her a pair of Knifty Loom Knit Leg Warmers.

Just wondering if you can knit tutu's.  If anyone comes across a pattern, please let me know.

Happy knitting,
Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.

10 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this. The socks and leg warmers look so nice. I have just unravelled a jumper I knitted last year. I didn't like the fit. I was going to make another for myself,but my granddaughter asked me to knit her one. I never thought either of my granddaughters would wear home knits now they are teenagers, but there you go. You never know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I would love to have these for my yoga practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! They look great, and would be so functional... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen the pattern and have the leaflet somewhere. They look nice. I am inviting you to share this on Show your Stuff:

    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2013/04/hot-dog-casserole-show-your-stuff-70.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thanks so much for the invite to Show your Stuff. I've added the Yoga Socks today - Deb

      Delete
  5. How cute are these! They look so fun and simple! I'd love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up. http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chelsea. I've added our Yoga Socks to your link up and can't wait to join in again. - Deb

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing on Blog Stalking Thursday. I have featured YOU and I would love for you to stop by and grab a feature button and show it to the world. You deserve it! Blog Stalking Thursday Features You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katie, we're very excited to be featured on Blog Stalking Thursday!

      Delete

ShareThis