Saturday, 13 April 2013

Loom Knitting

Pin It

Can it really  be a year since I bought my first knitting loom?  I've always been fascinated by the process of turning one long string of fibre into something much more, and I was really delighted to discover loom knitting where it all happens so easily.





While I started with plastic looms from my local craft store, I can't tell you how thrilled I was when my parents travelled across the country to deliver my very own handmade loom.  It's adjustable and provides a huge variety of sizes in one loom.




 Loom Knit Remote Holder 

My eleven year old up with this idea on the long plastic loom.  To be honest, I had no idea this piece was even happening and then one day it was finished, the remote controls were always in the right place and it matches our decor really well.  It's the perfect piece for a beginner and you can find the instructions here.



Loom Knit Socks

I've never knitted socks the conventional way, although I've always wanted to, I just didn't feel that my skill level with normal needles would do the beautiful socks yarns available any justice, but when I found some great youtube videos showing exactly how to do them on the loom, I was hooked.  You can find the links to the videos in our post .



 
Loom Knit Market Bag

One of my favourite loom knit projects has been for our market bag.  So simple to make and used weekly when we visit the fabulous food markets near our home, the bag was made from some yarn picked up cheaply at a local op shop (that's thrift or charity shop depending on which part of the world you live in).  Knitted on the large loom, the project details can be found at Loom Knit Market Bag and is a great gift for foodies.






Loom Knit Leg Warmers 

Our Loom Knit Leg Warmers  were the first project I tried using different stitches and I love how they turned out.  Simple stripes in e-wrap stitch with rib to start and finish in a lovely soft baby 4 ply yarn, the free pattern is available in the link. 






Loom Knit Gauntlets

One of my sons likes to attend cosplay conventions and these Legend of Zelda Gauntlets were made to match a hat I'd made from fleece.  Although these were specifically made for a costume, the pattern is very versatile and would be equally at home being made in a feminine yarn for a warm wintery set of fingerless gloves.









Loom Knit Scarf

Our very first foray into loom knitting was a scarf my daughter made for charity.  It was while making this project we discovered a wonderful tip on wrapping the wool using a hollowed out biro or drinking straw.  I can't tell you how much easier this makes the whole process and we've included the youtube video link in the post Charity Knitting








Quick Loom Knit Scarf




Quick Loom Knit Scarf

For a very quick scarf that can be made in a few hours, our Quick Loom Knit Scarf  is ideal.  Made from baby weight four ply wool, it looks like it's come straight off a set of needles with its drop stitch detailing.


Happy Loom Knitting

Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.

10 comments:

  1. Great work!Love it!Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog Ana, hope all is well with you in Portugal

      Delete
  2. I love your work!
    It's quite artistic :)
    Visiting you from the round tuit!
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoh - loom knitting looks like fun! I shall have to add that to my list of things to try! Love that remote control holder!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so fun! You always do such amazing work. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! Have a wonderful weekend!!

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Kathy - we always love to see the inspiring projects at A Bouquet of Talent and love to join in. Deb

      Delete
  5. These are excellent! Thank you! I have a daughter who loves to knit but is getting tired of hats and scarves.

    One question tho....I only know how to do one stitch on the round peg loom. One of the tutorials mentioned knitting and purling. Do you have a tutorial on different stitches w the loom? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah - thanks so much for your message. I've put youtube links in the actual blog posts so that you can click through to those to find the instructions for each stich. For example, if you click through to the leg warmer post, there is a link on how to do Rib Stitch. - Deb

      Delete
  6. can you tell me where your parents bought the handmade loom would love to have one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our father made the loom from scratch so unfortunately there are no plans available. If you know a woodworker, they may be able to put something together for you.

      Delete

ShareThis