Monday, 29 April 2013

Cross Stitch Lego

Pin It
You may remember from my previous posts that this is the year I had set aside to learn embroidery.  I've managed to do a few small projects (you can see how they turned out here), but was looking to do something a little more substantial when my delightful niece took it upon herself to send me a cross stitch kit or two.  She runs her own cross stitch business you see and I'm thankful that she chose some designs for me as I'm quite sure I wouldn't have been able to narrow down my selection from the  range that she stocks.  You can have a look for yourself at X Squared.  Hayley must have seen my crochet Lego scarf because amongst the kits, the project that immediately jumped out at me was the Mini Block fractal she was kind enough to send.

Now I'm not the neatest person in the world and I was worried from the outset that I would really struggle to put together row after row of perfectly formed stitches.  Thankfully there is quite a bit to do prior to actually forming the first stitch, so I put my fears aside and carefully measured the centre of my fabric and sorted all of my threads.  As a beginner, I'm not sure of the tried and true methods of thread sorting, however I thought the easiest way for me would be to use a sheet of clear projector film (the sort they used to use for overhead projectors before the digital age took over - yes you'd be surprised what I have stored in my cupboards!) with holes punched and codes and colours marked with a Sharpie.

Let the stitching begin....

There's something so very Downton Abbey/Pride and Prejudice about sitting down with an embroidery hoop and thread and whiling away the hours.  Naturally I would hope for a maid or two to bring the odd cup of tea in exquisite floral teacups, but alas the relaxation of forming the stitches is usually interrupted not by a maid, but the pressing need to cook or pick up a child from wherever they may be at any given time.  I'm pleased to say that despite the interruptions and my less than perfect stitches, this is a project I'm really enjoying.  The shading looks amazing so the bricks really do look like they are in 3D - at one point my daughter asked if I was sewing stitches on top of each other to get the effect.


This project might take a while to complete, so I do encourage you to follow us on Facebook for updates and hopefully one day in the not so distant future there'll be an update with this framed and hanging on the wall.

Happy stitching 

Deb

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook , Pinterest  & Ravelry too.

14 comments:

  1. wow. I love this and I know my lego mad son would too! http://craftwithcartwright.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, it's not often you find cross stitch that works for boys!

      Delete
  2. Amazing!! I simply cannot cross stich; I have tried, and tried again :o(
    Stopping by from Fluster Buster!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I have to say that I can't imagine my stitches are every going to be perfect little rows, but I'm hopeful people will stand far enough back from my finished work that they won't be able to notice :-) Deb

      Delete
  3. This is adorable. My brother would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, cross stitch is pretty time consuming, but I'm loving that this is a great one for boys. Deb

      Delete
  4. I love cross stitching! This is a great pattern - perfect for the kids room! Thank you for sharing on Fluster's Creative Muster Party!

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Robin - We love to see what other wonderful blogs get linked up.

      Delete
  5. I love this! I really enjoy cross-stitching. I've almost finished my latest project and I know I would enjoy this one. There are two boys at my house who love Lego's! Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Krista. I'm a new follower at A Handful of Everything and I have to say, I can't wait to try your Disappearing Double Strawberry Cookies. They look and sound delicious! - Deb

      Delete
  6. That is so adorable...the legos look real! Such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Michelle the pattern can be purchased through X Squared Cross Stitch

      and the actual product is

      http://xsquared.mysupadupa.com/collections/back-in-stock/products/mini-blocks

      Delete

ShareThis