Monday, 1 April 2013

Fat Quarter Wrap

Pin It
Cheap wrapping paper always seems like such a waste to me.  My children are well past the age where it can be recycled into a crafty something involving glue, backing paper and the occasional feather  or piece of coloured aluminium foil.  These days it seems to be discarded quickly and given my local council's predilection for thrusting ever diminishing rubbish bins upon its residents (the new bin size will be 80 litres, tricky indeed for a family of five), I'm quite determined that we throw away as little a possible.  Now that we have a birthday upon us and the soon to be Miss 12 has insisted that she wants all things crafts - she takes after her mother it seems - I thought I could be environmentally friendly while using up some fat quarters and a bit of trim which she could use later. 

You will need

- A selection of fat quarters or pieces of fabric, quantity will depend on the size of the present to be wrapped.
- Ribbon or fabric trim

I chose two Willow pattern fabrics that I had picked up from one of our local discount stores a few months earlier and some trim purchased for a project a couple of years ago that was never used.

I used one piece of fabric to wrap the present with a little tape at the corners to hold in place.  The fabric was a little too small to cover the whole box, but when I used the contrasting fabric as a centre piece, it covered any bits that were showing at the back.  Tie trim in place and you're finished.


Ta-dah!

The contents of the present can't be revealed just yet, but it's something my parents picked up when they were visiting last year and we've been storing it ever since.  It's perfectly crafty and Miss soon-to-be-12 is going to love it...and if I'm lucky I might get to try it out too! 

Happy Crafting

Deb


Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook and Pinterest too.


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the colors of the fabric you chose! How exciting for your 12 year old!

    Thank you for sharing this at the In and Out of the Kitchen link party! I hope you will be back next week with another great idea!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to use fabric as much as I can for wrapping now - I always feel using paper is such a waste! Beautiful fabric you chose here - hope your daughter likes her present! How exciting!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis