Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Loom Knit Socks

Pin It My parents recently drove across the country to visit.  A journey of slightly less than 3600km (that's just over 2200 miles) and if driven without a break would take a mere 36 hours of non-stop driving!  It's a hard slog of a journey, but they had some very precious cargo on board and so there was no time to waste.  The precious cargo was of course, not only themselves, but my new handmade knitting loom.  My father's woodworking skills have been mentioned on the blog before (you can read about them here) and I was very excited at the prospect of their arrival.

One of the projects I was most excited about making on my new loom was a pair of socks. Both my fellow blogger Louise, and my mother seem to have no hesitation in picking up a pair of needles and quickly making a pair, but it's something I've never done and while I was extremely tempted by Louise's Sock Knitting 101 post, I hadn't managed to go shopping for sock knitting wool as the loom knitter kept calling me back.  With my new adjustable loom, I had the means and opportunity to give it a try.


There was much starting over with this project.  I had no idea how many pins to use and after doing the rib twice, finally decided that 36 pins looked about right.

Pattern

Using Katia Darling colour 206 (gorgeous shades of royal blue, meandering through tones of greys and blacks before arriving at vibrant teal) cast on.  I found the instructions from Knittingboard.com on youtube to be very helpful throughout the sock process. 

 - Rib: Knit one, Purl one for 9 rows.

 - Continue using e-wrap stitch until you reach the sock length desired.

 - Turn heel - This is the part of the project that I thought would be very difficult, but the video instructions were very easy to follow.


- Continue knitting until the desired length is reached for the foot section (in our case 23cm)

- work toe section as per heel and cast off

-Bind off

-Sew






You can find detailed written instructions at http://www.knittingboard.com/v/vspfiles/sockloom_instructions2.pdf




Happy Loom Knitting

Deb


Other FitzBirch loom knit projects:

Charity knitting scarf
Knifty Loom Knit Leg Warmers
Loom Knit Gauntlets
Loom Knit Market Bag

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.



8 comments:

  1. Wow, great job! I am a beginner knitter, but socks are on my list to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm sure you'll love making socks. What a great blog you have - I'm now a follower! Deb

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, I had a wonderful time making them - Deb

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour les amis, Je fais du tricotin aussi, oui, vos métiers s'appellent "tricotins" c'est agréable mais je trouve un peu le temps long, les aiguilles et crochets c'est plus rapide mais bon c'est vrai que cela fait de belles choses, J'ai un tricotin à chaussettes qui est bien pratique! Vos modèles sont bien beaux! Bonne soirée -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new to loom knitting. Any tips for a newby? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would look at youtube for casting on and casting off techniques. Loom knitting is great because it's very easy to get even tension and perfect for beginners! Best of luck with your new hobby.

      Delete

ShareThis