Monday, 12 November 2012

An Edgy Christmas

Pin It
A Crafty Knitted Garland
In my quest for a Christmas tree filled with knitted ornaments, I have been searching for a garland that can festoon my tree.  Something easy, quick and festive.  It turned out to be quite the search.  I just couldn't find anything that I wanted.

I tried I-cord - too plain.

Then I-Cord with sequins - too fiddly.

Then I-Cord with bobbles and beads - also too fiddly.

Finally, I found what I wanted.  Sawtooth edging. I know it  doesn't sound too Christmassy but I am confident it will look fantastic. Plus it has the added bonus of being very easy to knit.














The pattern is very simple.

Cast on 5 stitches
1st row - Slip 1, YO, K2Tog, YO, K2
2nd row (and every even numbered row) - Slip 1, K to end.
3rd row - Slip 1, (YO, K2Tog) twice, YO, K1
5th row - Slip 1, (YO, K2Tog) twice, YO, K2
7th row - Slip 1, (YO, K2Tog) 3 times, YO, K1
9th row - Slip 1, (YO, K2Tog) 3 times, YO, K2
11th row - Slip 1, (YO, K2Tog) 4 times, YO, K1
13th row - Slip 1 (YO, K2Tog) 4 times, YO, K2
15th row, Place bead, sequin or button of choice, bind off 8 stitches (until 5 stitches remain - 1 on right hand needle and 4 on left hand needle).  YO, K2tog, YO, K2.
Continue pattern from row 2 for as long as required.

...Found in Nicky Epstein's 'Knitting on the Edge'...


FitzBirch Crafty Christmas Ideas

Crafty the Snowman
Christmas Tea Cosy


Happy Knitting and Happy Christmas

Louise

Thanks so much for visiting.  We'd love to have you join us on Facebook too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis